Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 19 May 2024, 14:39

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: 19 Jan 2010, 06:38 

Pcper had mentioned that it needs the newer GPU's in order to run in surround.

"I sense something, a presence I've not felt since......."

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2010, 13:58 
Editors
Editors

That's not good.

We need to wait for the actual drivers and cards to know what is true and what is false at the minute. :(

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2010, 19:03 

Slap me down if this has been mentioned before, but from nvidia's own blog they state surround will be available for GT200 cards

http://blogs.nvidia.com/ntersect/2010/01/surround-yourself-with-nvidia-3d-vision-technology.html

And while 3D Vision Surround will be officially launched with our GF100 GPUs later in Q1, the good news for everyone is that 3D Vision Surround will also be supported on our GT200 family too!

Has something been reported reported recently to counter this statement?

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2010, 20:33 

There are reports of people that have seen it first hand at the shows. they were running SLI gtx285's on one machine.

Look it up

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2010, 23:26 
Editors
Editors

Ah, fair enough. Still far too much FUD and rumour around to do with this.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2010, 00:27 

Never fear, its coming...

Dave,

To be fair to you and the community, based on a previous reply from you I did some research (more) on the ATI vs nVidia GPU issue as it relates to the Flight Simming community (for FS9 and FSX mainly). I did see where there are reports now that the 5800 series ATI GPU (EyeFinity) can perform at the same level as nVidia GPUs in all categories...except one. It appears (from what I've read) that the ATI GPU still will not allow the manual setting of VSYNC for the display. While this may not be a major issue in RPG, FPS, or other "shoot-em up" gaming, it is a major issue in Flight Simming as it can cause "tearing" of distant terrain and/or textures like clouds, mountain terrain, etc as FSX is loading the terrain and/or textures. The popping in and out of these items while flight simming is very annoying, and most serious flight simmers run VSYNC with their nVidia cards to prevent it. The lack of it on an ATI card would still be a show-stopper for me purchasing one, as I don't play RPGs, FPSs, or other "games" in those genres.

Just in case I missed something in my research, is the lack of being able to set VSYNC on an EyeFinity series card still applicable? If not, or if it will be a settable feature in the near future, then I WOULD seriously consider an ATI EyeFinity card for surround gaming for my flight simming instead of a new TH2G or an nVidia SLI configuration.

Thanks for any clarification.

Rick

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2010, 04:19 

Here is a guide to Catalyst (relatively recent), read the top part of the page below:

http://www.tweakguides.com/ATICAT_8.html

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2010, 12:03 
Editors
Editors

In the Catalyst 9.12 driver with a 4870X2, I can find Vsync in the 'Graphics' panel, under 'All', then "Wait for vertical refresh". It has four settings: Always Off, Off unless Application specifies, On unless application specifies, and Always On. I run it with 'Always On', and I've never noticed any tearing in games. Forcing it to 'Always On' is one of the first things I do on a new install, as otherwise I almost always see tearing and it drives me nuts.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8