Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 27 Jun 2024, 22:32

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: 11 May 2010, 00:26 
Editors
Editors

Seems like the drivers are delayed until summer 2010:
COMING SOON
Support for NVIDIA 3D Vision Surround Technology on GeForce 400/200 Series GPUs requires NVIDIA Driver Release 256* or higher. (*Scheduled for Summer 2010)

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3DV_System_Requirements_Surround_Technology.html

Vista not supported:
* Operating System
o Microsoft Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit

* GPU support (NVIDIA SLI or multi-GPU cards are required)
o SLI configurations
+ GeForce GTX 480, 470, 285, 280, 275, 260
o Single card
+ GeForce GTX 295

* Motherboard
o SLI Motherboard is required for SLI configuraitons
o The GeForce GTX 295 card works on all motherboards

* NVIDIA Surround Modes
o NVIDIA Surround
+ Three displays or projectors synchronized together
+ Landscape and portrait mode
+ All displays must have the same resolution, refresh rate, and sync polarity

o NVIDIA 3D Vision Surround
+ Three displays or projectors synchronized together
+ Landscape mode only for displays, projectors can operate in landscape or portrait mode
+ All displays must be the same make and model 3D Vision-Ready displays. For a full list of 3D Vision-Ready display devices, please check this website.

PostPosted: 11 May 2010, 01:19 
Editors
Editors

Oh no, bad news, "summer" ?! :x I think ill forget the 3D fun on single screen and go back to the old matrox adapter and 2D 5040x1050 till then ...

PostPosted: 11 May 2010, 09:39 

SUMMER....(which year) That obvoiusly means the April/may release is out the window

FFS, If I were to advertise an item for sale, and it didnt do what I advertised it could do..... i would get sued and taken to the cleaners, and what they are singing about, was released ages ago, ok, so you have a powerful card, blah blah blah. At the moment thats all it is over thier previous cards......nothing more....other than a heater for those chilli winter nights.... :roll:

What a total joke, wonder if nVid accounts are asking marketing why thier cards aren' being sold by the truck load.... I am not buying one, let alone two of them until they can actually do what they say they can do..... and I am holding a fist full of cash ready and itching to spend it on 2 cards to go multi monitor gaming (as my matrox has failed) Looks like the only player in the market is ATI....

EDIT- Thanks for the update Tamlin, I check this site everyday hoping for good news on this subject, your vigilence is appreciated, my patience is almost expunged with nVid....

PostPosted: 11 May 2010, 09:56 
Administrators
Administrators

They better release Vista support, I've never had a problem with vista so I'm not paying for Windows 7 until there enough DX11 games that I own and my pair of GTX295s start to have problems playing games on max or high. Otherwise I'll stick with my TH2G and not invest in 3 new 120Hz monitors and there glasses.

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

PostPosted: 11 May 2010, 13:47 

and I am holding a fist full of cash ready and itching to spend it on 2 cards to go multi monitor gaming (as my matrox has failed) Looks like the only player in the market is ATI....

Just curious - what are you waiting for...?

PostPosted: 11 May 2010, 13:48 

They better release Vista support, I've never had a problem with vista so I'm not paying for Windows 7 until there enough DX11 games

What, for you, is the correlation between DX11 and Windows 7?

PostPosted: 11 May 2010, 16:46 
Editors
Editors

EDIT- Thanks for the update Tamlin, I check this site everyday hoping for good news on this subject, your vigilence is appreciated, my patience is almost expunged with nVid....

No problem. :) I was hoping that this section would be up and running, so I am a bit disappointed that the drivers are so delayed. Nvidia entering Surround gives a big boost to surround gaming, since it increases the userbase very much and gives more incentive for support then.

But, I think that Nvidia surround is an afterthought and a result of ATI launching Eyefinity. Nvidia couldn't have planned to have this ready by the original planned launch in 2009 considering how delayed it is now.

There is no official word as of why they are delayed, but its speculated that this is caused by bandwidth issues with SLI. Here's one of the sources of the speculation:
http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=29812042&postcount=11

He should also add that in addition to all of this, SLI surround also have to sync monitors over two cards using the PCI-E, which might cause additional lag. There is also a hardware limitation that Nvidia have confirmed, where (while in 2D mode) the second card is in 3D mode when 3 mons are attached, which gives pretty high temps at idle. Crossfire doesn't have this limitation, since all 3 screens are attached to one card and the second card is almost turned off when in 2D thanks to powerplay.

If there is a bandwidth limitation, I wonder how they are going to do 3D on 1920x1080 120hz screens without encountering even bigger limitations.

I'll post more when there will be more news. Hopefully good ones next time! :)

They better release Vista support, I've never had a problem with vista so I'm not paying for Windows 7 until there enough DX11 games that I own and my pair of GTX295s start to have problems playing games on max or high. Otherwise I'll stick with my TH2G and not invest in 3 new 120Hz monitors and there glasses.

Vista can do DX11, so you don't need Windows 7 for this. :)

PostPosted: 11 May 2010, 19:12 

Thanks for the info. I'm right about to go for Eyefinity with 3x24" and a 5870CF but in the forums one can read several problems with CF plus Eyefinity. That's why I haven't decided yet. It's ridiculous - ATI which brings inferior Dual-GPU technology (larger mircostuttering and worse scaling in CF compared to SLI) pushes Eyefinity which is really the only thing worth spending a leg on a High-End CF. On the other hand there is nvidia with better drivers, better SLI-scaling and less microstuttering but not realising that nobody needs a dual GTX 470/480 config for just one monitor. :roll: You can easily power a 30" with a single 5870/GTX470 so whats the point of SLI/CF if not multimonitor-gaming?

Sorry but I don't know what to do...

I would love to have a further development of SoftTH with SLI/CF support. I just won't even think about Eyefinity or nvidia surround.

Intel i7 980X | MSI Big Bang Xpower X58 | 12GB G.Skill Pi Black DDR3-1600 | Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X 2GB | 2x Intel X-25M 160GB | SB X-Fi | Seasonic X-750 | Silverstone FT01 black | 3x HP ZR24w @ 5760x1200 Triplehead

AMD X2 4800+ | Gigabyte K8N Ultra-SLI | 2GB Kingston VS DDR1-400 | Zotac GTX260 AMP! + Gigabyte 8400GS | 3x Samsung HD 2.1TB | SB X-Fi | Seasonic M12-600 | Chieftec CS-601 blue | Dell 2407WFP + Dell 1707FP Dualhead

PostPosted: 11 May 2010, 20:39 
Editors
Editors

Windows 7 required. SLI required. Monster power reqs & scorching temps. Just some of the reasons why I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on my very first ATI card (Toxic 5850) after 10+ years on NVIDIA (before that 3dfx, may they rest in peace). Despite my research I'm still a little nervous...my new card better play nice with my TH2Go.

PostPosted: 12 May 2010, 01:10 

[quote]and I am holding a fist full of cash ready and itching to spend it on 2 cards to go multi monitor gaming (as my matrox has failed) Looks like the only player in the market is ATI....

Just curious - what are you waiting for...?

Excellent timing with an even more excellent point. I've been waiting (patiently) on NVidia since ATI released their hardware and drivers with Eyefinity support. I have been tempted countless times to just dump my cards and get a 5870 or something similar. It is just insane to me that a feature LISTED ON THE BOX was not delivered with the product.

I'm off to Ebay to see what I can get for my cards. :evil:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next