Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Jun 2024, 07:47

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2011, 14:38 

Hi.

I'm currently using 3x1280x1024 19" monitors via an analogue Matrox TH2Go, and I love it!

Having used it for many years now, I am naturally never going to go back to a single screen. I'm sure there's many of you out there that can relate to that! :wink:

But, it's time for an upgrade me thinks, so I may as well go for a 3D surround setup since I'm in for 3 new widescreen monitors anyway.

I currently have a brand spanking shinny new GTX 560Ti 2048MB card, so I figure I'll get an extra one of those and *think* I've settled on 3x BenQ XL2410T monitors.

My question is this: Will 2 GTX 560Ti (2GB) in SLI drive 3 1080p monitors in 3D at a half decent frame rate?

And my other question is this: How fat are the bezels on the BenQ XL2410T? I can't find that out anywhere. My current monitors have lovely slim 13mm bezels, and I'm guessing these are MUCH fatter than that. The bezels have never bothered me, but being MUCH fatter would be shame, but I'd like to think that having them further apart than I do currently combined with the awesomeness of playing 3D surround will more than compensate. :D

Does anyone have any advice?

PS: I'll be looking at selling the old TH2Go and monitors in the London region if anyone's interested.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2011, 17:58 

Just try out your single GPU first.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2011, 02:26 
Insiders
Insiders

From looking at benchmarks, I'd say framerates would be lower than desirable at 5760x1080 in 3D with 2x 560 2GBs in SLI; depending on the game. It's a rough estimate based off relative performance of 560/470 benchmarks in SLI in widescreen, and how that translates to surround performance, and I'd estimate that you would need more pixel pushing power for 3DVS at 1080p to play all the latest games at native resolution with all the eyecandy.

As far as bezel thickness goes, I have no clue. Going to widescreen monitors from your current screens will get bezels out further into your peripheral vision, so you probably wont notice some thicker bezels too much anyway.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2011, 14:49 

I concur fuzioninfinity.

From what I gather 2GB 560GTX in SLI will perform about the same as 470 SLI. Some 470 SLI users are reporting adequate frame rates in 3DVS in some games but not all.

The way I look at it is that if I'm going to go to 3 1080p monitors, I might as well cough up for 120Hz ones while I'm at it and thus future proof the investment. I can still play in 2D surround using these monitors as 470 SLI users have reported reasonable frame rates in 2D surround at 1080p resolution. I can then go to 3DVS in the future with a simple GPU upgrade.

As for the bezel question, I of all people (a TH2Go user) ought to know how benign they are and with widescreen pushing them further out in my peripheral vision even more so. I feel some what embarassed by asking in the first place but in my defence I am used to very thin bezels, albeit within my normal field of view.

Thanks for your input.