Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 30 Jun 2024, 17:11

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2010, 13:36 
Editors
Editors

Windows 7 already disables defrag on SSD drives by default, and any half-modern SSD (ie: not one of the "first ones out the gate" will have wear levelling so the effect of pagefile being on there will be fairly low in terms of damage done.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2010, 17:13 

superfetch is off. should i disable fetch as well?

id love ti install games on my SSD, but guy using steam chewed up close to 200GB on my older HDD.....you see my point? what games do you install on your SDDs?

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2010, 17:21 
Editors
Editors

Leave prefetch on; I've had Windows 7 do some weird things with it disabled.

I don't install any games on the system with an SSD in it - it's a for-work-only ultraportable (OK, I tell a lie - I've got the basic Windows 7 games on it, but I didn't have a choice about those...!)

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2010, 19:28 

Instead of paying an impressive amount of money for my SSD and then worrying about the lifespan, I chose to actually enjoy using the thing. Sometimes I get the impression that people think SSD's are great, but shout 'Don't use it, or it'll break!'
Windows on the SSD, games on the SSD. Raw data on another disk, simply because it's too much. If I need more room (which may be rather soon) I'll just uninstall some games. Forces me to keep things tidy, instead of clogging everything up with dozens of games I don't play.

By the time it wears out I assume they'll be going a lot cheaper and I'll just replace it. Mind you, not much seems to have happened to the prices last year...

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2010, 19:39 

id love ti install games on my SSD, but guy using steam chewed up close to 200GB on my older HDD.....you see my point? what games do you install on your SDDs?

I don't use an SSD but my main partition is 100GB, and I install all my games on it.

The thing is that I just simply don't have all of my games installed, I never need to. I can only have some 7-8 games on the go at any given time, there isn't a reason for the rest to be installed.

That being said, steam doesn't let you install games on multiple partitions/hard drives yet (I do hear that they are planning for that in the future though) But you could always do something like installing your steam games on your HDD and non steam games on your SSD (or vice versa if you are willing to leave most of your games uninstalled.)

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2010, 22:24 
Insiders
Insiders

You can use Junction Link Magic to make NTFS redirects to game files if you want certain games on the SSD. And the only reason you should move your page file off the SSD is if you need the space. There is no other good reason, the amount of writes it will eat up is trivial. Leave the files that benefit from being on an SSD, on the SSD!.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2010, 11:20 

[quote]id love ti install games on my SSD, but guy using steam chewed up close to 200GB on my older HDD.....you see my point? what games do you install on your SDDs?

I don't use an SSD but my main partition is 100GB, and I install all my games on it.

The thing is that I just simply don't have all of my games installed, I never need to. I can only have some 7-8 games on the go at any given time, there isn't a reason for the rest to be installed.

That being said, steam doesn't let you install games on multiple partitions/hard drives yet (I do hear that they are planning for that in the future though) But you could always do something like installing your steam games on your HDD and non steam games on your SSD (or vice versa if you are willing to leave most of your games uninstalled.)

Currently Steam is on the 2TB HDD and windows 7 and utilities on the SSD. So games run so much faster of SSD? To be computer boot up is extremely important, which is why Win7 is on the SSD. I calculated ut todaydeom reseting(push the rest button) to desktop or rook me 30 seconds. Is that fast enough by SSD standards?

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2010, 13:50 
Editors
Editors

Since that includes POST, that's pretty good.

Dunno why, but my UD5 has always been really slow to POST. Takes it ages. But that's neither here nor there. ;)

I've got all my Steam games installed at the minute - done so I could back them up to a HDD so I don't have to download them all again... and also just to see how much space they take up. Normally I don't have more than 4 or 5 installed at any one time. Having said that, depending on the games, those 4 or 5 can still total 100GB. :/

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2010, 18:41 

I'm thinking of going insane and ordering the Corsair 512GB SSD($800) only for gaming instead of my 2TB HDD(7200rpm/64mb cache)...but I don't wanna lose my kick ass hard drive either :(

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2010, 19:34 
Editors
Editors

I wouldn't bother. Seriously.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next