Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 30 Jun 2024, 17:29

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2011, 15:30 

My lil' bro was nice enough to let me experiment with his brand new wireless keyboard. Although I think he just wants to show off his new keyboard (A4Tech GR-152).

After trying the keyboard out for a few hours, here's what I think of it:
- It felt a lot heavier than my Logitech PS/2 keyboard even if I took out the 2 AA batteries.
- The +/- keys have scroll up and scroll down icons but oddly it doesn't work as a mousewheel. The 2 and 8 keys with arrow up and arrow down icons does.
- The most useless shortcut key: Calculator (icon: like its namesake). How often do people use the built-in calculator anyway?
- I felt no difference between the wireless keyboard and my PS/2 keyboard when typing and gaming*.
- The most useful shortcut key: Search (icon: magnifying glass). It opens up new window called Search Results and I can start searching files immediately.
- The home page shortcut key (icon: house) is a minor convenience. It calls up the home page of the default browser in a single click. Then again, I also can do that with a mouse.
- The volume shortcut keys is also a minor convenience. I don't use them very often as I rarely change the volume when listening to MP3 songs.
- Wireless means less cable clutters behind the rear PC. The keyboard and mouse use the same wireless USB dongle .
- Wireless also means I don't have to detach the keyboard from the USB or PS/2 port every time I want to clean it from dusts.
- The keys still register when I type from across the room. Impressive but I'm not sure why I would want to type at that distance when I could barely I see what I'm typing.

Conclusion: Upgrading my old PS/2 keyboard has some perks but doesn't actually change my life. The Logitech keyboard will probably stay to serve me for another few years.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2011, 16:50 

In my opinion the new fancy keyboards really aren't worth it.

My favorite keyboard still is the Microsoft one with the curved keys. Been using it since early last decade.

"I sense something, a presence I've not felt since......."

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2011, 18:08 

- The most useless shortcut key: Calculator (icon: like its namesake). How often do people use the built-in calculator anyway?

Quite a lot actually, especially at work. Having that button over yonder would be nice.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2011, 21:32 
Insiders
Insiders

I use it all the time. Daily. I put my Calc shortcut the at top-right corner.