Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 30 Jun 2024, 17:20

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: DP loses signal
PostPosted: 13 May 2011, 11:09 

U2311H
5870 lightning (Edit: running 8.723 drivers/Cat 9*latest on msi's website)
win 7 64

Connectivity to the monitor is with a DP cable through the DP port on both the GPU and monitor's end.

Dear eyefinity guru's,
I would be most grateful if you can solve this problem for me. I'll try to keep this short, hope it goes easy on your eyes.
So i keep getting random blackouts on my monitor, cpu is running and the only way to get back my screen is to unplug the DP cable on the GPU end and plug it back in.

This is the message when I recover the signal :-
"The system has detected a link failure and cannot set the requested resolution and refresh rate on your DisplayPort. Your display might not support the request resolution or there may be an issue with the cable connecting the display to your computer"

I'm hoping this has nothing to do with having to update my BIOS where my current one is not sending enough power to maintain signal to my monitor(mostly having to do with DP->dvi/vga adapters, like i have read here.

THanks in Advance

Post subject: Re: DP loses signal
PostPosted: 13 May 2011, 12:18 
Insiders
Insiders

Sounds like a gimpy cable to me. Could also be the video drivers. I used a DP-DP cable on my Dell monitor and 5870 for over a year without a single blank screen.

Wait... "Cat 9"? As in version 9.x? As in, VERY old drivers? Go to amd.com and download a newer set, man.

PostPosted: 14 May 2011, 05:40 
Insiders
Insiders

^This + 1

I have similar problems with mine as well. Do you use a Dual-Link DVI adapter or Single Link? Or are you using VGA?

PostPosted: 14 May 2011, 11:43 

Yeah, them VERY old ones :P Any specific ones i should get ?
I was thinking the one that introduced bezel correction and eyefinity profiles should be good ...

suiken : im using dp cable and dp port on monitor and gpu

abram : are your 5870's CF'ed ? If it's a single 5870, might i inquire what display driver/CCC version are you on ?

Thanks for the replies guys, really appreciate it

ANdrew

PostPosted: 14 May 2011, 12:01 
Insiders
Insiders

I was using a single XFX 5870. My roommate is now using it. I used almost every monthly CCC release from 9.11 onwards.

I'm using 11.3 at the moment. I often update as they come out, since i have a newer card now. But I've been too lazy to do it, lately. Any later version will be fine for oyu. May as well use the latest ones, 11.5.

The driver set - select your video card (the HD series, for you) and OS here:
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

And the 11.5 Hotfix (minor update, install overtop of 11.5)
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst115ahotfix.aspx

Of course, remove you old drivers first. Most driver releases often do strange things for very few users. If this happens, just try 11.4. You'll also get a performance boost, new features, and the newly remade CCC.

PostPosted: 14 May 2011, 15:29 

Problem sounds familiar. Haven't had it anymore I think since a certain driver update. Running 10.10 atm. Yes, I'm too lazy to update, even with Steam's easy stuff :roll:

PostPosted: 14 May 2011, 17:09 

yeah, come to think about it, it actually wasn't "random"... most definitely.
I'm sure it poccured a few times right after UAC promts, i hit yes. boom
and on a few occasions, when i execute a program and it blacks out right before program runs. etc

Last night, i used a dvi to dvi and it was all good, switched back to dp (plugged it real tight into gpu) and got no signal dropout for a good few hours so ....

Than again my win7(h basic 64) is a fresh install(without internet connection yet ;()
So i'm hopeful its a driver thingy and ima get it sorted out after I sub a internet line

PostPosted: 14 May 2011, 20:58 
Insiders
Insiders

A good reason to disable UAC. It's one of the first things i do after a fresh install.

Sicne you can make it to WSGF, why not save the drivers to a disc/thumb drive/memory card/cellphone, and move it to your desktop?