Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Oct 2024, 07:34

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2008, 14:55 

Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F 120mm Case Fan

thanks a ton for all the help everybody has been to me. :)

Let me help one more time.

While those fans are great fans (see http://www.silentpcreview.com)
They are too expensive. I've toyed with Fans (spent more than I care to share) and found Yate Loons (they make NEXUS fans) to be the best bang for the buck.

I found mine for $4 each. I forgot where though. Newegg doesn't have them, but I have the P180 with 4 of these in there and with a fan control...dead silent and my pc stays VERY cool. I give them mad props when I can.
Here
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6174/fan-344/Yate_Loon_120mm_x_25mm_Fan_D12SH-12.html?tl=c15s60b119

or

http://www.jab-tech.com/product.php?productid=3771

Some review
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article739-page2.html
woot for silence!

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2008, 15:17 

[quote]... and 540 watt psu from my old rig...

Oh, didn't see that there.

Wow, excuse me while I just assume that you are having a really bad day. I actually owned a PC P&C 850 SSI, it was the quietest component in my PC that had a fan. And my computer didn't do hovercraft impressions either. You must have gotten a bad one, or an early model that had a louder fan. I'm going to guess early model because it set you back $800 :shock: .

Right now I've got a PC P&C Silencer 750 and its also quiet.

Sorry to hear about your lemon though. :D
Yes, something like $800 with shipping to Sweden, customs and other taxes. And it was an early model, yes. I was younger, inexperienced and very naive at that time. (I sort of reasoned like I could use that PSU for the rest of my life or at least a decade and thus the cost would be justified, etc. Noise wasn't even a remote concern back then.)

Have you compared your Silencer to a Seasonic S12, Corsair VX/HX/TX or Enermax Pro82+/Modu82+ at some 100-150W load? If the Silencer is as quiet, they must really have made a 180 over at PCPC. If not, well, then you I suggest you do.

Out of curiosity, what fan is found inside your 850 SSI?

Btw, I was rolling my eyes at your statement, not at you personally. I got really burned by PCPC.

---

Yates are good fans. They're essentially high-speed Nexus fans. Just do the 7V mod or use a fan controller. If you can get them cheaper, there's no reason not to.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2008, 17:09 

I've accumulated quite a large collection of fans. Overall my conclusion is this:

At equal rpm, they mostly sound the same.

Be it scythe, thermaltake, silenx, antec, etc.

The only one I haven't got is yate loon, mainly due to em being more expensive and hard to find.

A few do have rattle and misc. other secondary noise but for the most part the rpm decides the noise they generate.

And once I install em with rubber holders, those secondary noise tend to vanish since they're only noticeably loud due to vibrating the case.

The only noise left is plain air movement, hence, they all sound the same at equal rpm/cfm.

Of course given a choice I would stay away from thermaltake. They're orange and they shatter. I used one of their fans when I needed one for a small test. One of it's blade simply tore off. Can't imagine the damage it would have done if I were using it inside a case.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2008, 17:29 

The only one I haven't got is yate loon, mainly due to em being more expensive and hard to find.

I was under the impression that the main reason Yates are popular is that they are cheap, perform relativity well and sold everywhere?

I know my Yates were like $2 bucks each

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2008, 18:11 

In canada, everything tends to be hard to find.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2008, 18:46 

I have a very similar setup and I think you'll be happy. My Asus P5Q pro works great, although it's kind of picky with memory. I have the matched pairs of 2G Corsair memory and they work great, although this board does accept RAM with higher speeds, PC 1200 I think. Just don't forget to check the official forums first if you go this route.

I'm going to repeat what everyone else has said, that the 4850 is a steal. Runs most games maxed or very high.

Funny you should decide on a Xigmatech HDT s1283, I just ordered one from newegg :)

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2008, 19:19 

I have a very similar setup and I think you'll be happy. My Asus P5Q pro works great, although it's kind of picky with memory. I have the matched pairs of 2G Corsair memory and they work great, although this board does accept RAM with higher speeds, PC 1200 I think. Just don't forget to check the official forums first if you go this route.

I'm going to repeat what everyone else has said, that the 4850 is a steal. Runs most games maxed or very high.

Funny you should decide on a Xigmatech HDT s1283, I just ordered one from newegg :)

that does sound pretty similar to what i'm getting. sweet! I'm very sure i'm going to LOVE this computer, i'm not gonna waste my time finding faster RAM, just dont feel like it needs it.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2008, 22:33 

[quote]I have a very similar setup and I think you'll be happy. My Asus P5Q pro works great, although it's kind of picky with memory. I have the matched pairs of 2G Corsair memory and they work great, although this board does accept RAM with higher speeds, PC 1200 I think. Just don't forget to check the official forums first if you go this route.

that does sound pretty similar to what i'm getting. sweet! I'm very sure i'm going to LOVE this computer, i'm not gonna waste my time finding faster RAM, just dont feel like it needs it.

It should be easy to overclock a bit even with DDR2 800. Just keeping a 1:1 ratio for CPU to RAM, you can bring the proc to 3.6 Ghz with small (if any) voltage increases. At least that's what I've been told...

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2008, 22:42 
Insiders
Insiders

Have you compared your Silencer to a Seasonic S12, Corsair VX/HX/TX or Enermax Pro82+/Modu82+ at some 100-150W load? If the Silencer is as quiet, they must really have made a 180 over at PCPC. If not, well, then you I suggest you do.

Out of curiosity, what fan is found inside your 850 SSI?

Thanks for the suggestion, if I ever need another PSU I'll look into that. I have no idea what fan was inside the 850 SSI. Never looked, and its gone now. : (

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2008, 05:49 

[quote][quote="It should be easy to overclock a bit even with DDR2 800. Just keeping a 1:1 ratio for CPU to RAM, you can bring the proc to 3.6 Ghz with small (if any) voltage increases. At least that's what I've been told...

sweet, my current plan is to get it to 3ghz a core then leave it. and i plan on leaving it at 3ghz unless i actually feel the processor is slow. I have a friend with a coolermaster cosmos and that zalman heatsync, that rig is loud (louder than mine is right now my heat sync makes a ton of noise) he has it clocked to 3.6ghz with the same processor that i'm getting, pretty nuts.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next