Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 Jul 2024, 10:47

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2009, 07:46 

Thanks guys for the help.

Have decided to go for the G25 as i got to have a feel of a display model today.

Now to convince my girlfriend that it is the perfect gift for me for my 30th in a bit over a week. :D

Nice choice, hehe let us know how you like it. I'm sure you'll love it though!

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2009, 07:46 
Editors
Editors

Even though it was not a mainstream game that Viper Racing game I used to play had full analog clutch control and all that.

It was a kinda lame game, but it kept me playing due to the very good controls and also because I could edit my car skins directly in photoshop and drive around any kind of cool creation of a car I wanted.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2009, 19:57 
Editors
Editors

What did you pay for your G25 btw? Lowest I've seen them new is $240 on eBay.

Got mine for £139 from Amazon (new, factory sealed, etc... I hate buying stuff second hand... bad experiences) which at the current exchange rate is around the $210 mark. The cheapest it had been was £129 five days previously... the price was all over the place - £129 one day, £160 the next, £145 the day after that... £139 for two days, then the price rocketed the day after I bought it as it hit £200...

And yes, I agree about the 'turn it into a two direction shift' is not really a 'feature'... aside from the fact that it allows racing games that don't properly support the 7-position shifter (6 forward, one reverse) to work.

But you can also get it to treat the 7 positions as 'buttons' so while the clutch doesn't work for them, it means that you can shift to first, second, sixth, reverse, whatever with the correct location on the gearbox.

Post subject: rply
PostPosted: 12 Jan 2009, 21:17 

Currently the best steering wheel is the Logitech G25.

Post subject: Re: rply
PostPosted: 13 Jan 2009, 00:02 

Currently the best steering wheel is the Logitech G25.

Really? I find that hard to believe. It's such a high priced one and it seems like many people would assume just drop $100 on a decent one than go all out for an excellent one. Usually people's attitude in other areas so it strikes me as odd for them to do it here.

The only reason I don't have a G25 asides from the fact I don't have any racing games for the PC (All on my 360), is the fact that these things are always pesky to find somewhere to mount (usually involving sticking the keyboard somewhere else - and I'm not using a wireless one). That and the fact $200+ on a steering wheel is high. I'd just assume pickup a nice joystick that I'd probably get more use out of. Hell, all these ridiculous game controllers have gotten crazy anymore. That two-piece Saitek joystick and throttle thing are still on my wish list - a flight simulator just isn't proper without a joystick!

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2009, 13:10 
Editors
Editors

The problem with steering wheels, at least in the UK, is that there isn't anything in the mid-range.

There is the G25, which is the undisputed king of the PC steering wheel market... and there are wheels that are less than half the price, but really aren't worth the amount of money they cost. When MS did game controllers for PCs still (I'm thinking the Sidewinder range) they had a couple of good steering wheels. A bit plastic (OK, very plastic) but they were solid bits of kit that worked well even if put through a fair amount of punishment.

I've not got experience of the console aimed steering wheels, so I can't comment about them... but other PC oriented ones like the MOMO and the Formula Force EX really don't feel like they're worth spending money on.

Post subject: rply
PostPosted: 13 Jan 2009, 15:00 

Why are you talking about flight sim? Anyways, mostly all of these game controllers need to be mounted on the desk. There is no escaping that, unless you only want a joystick. I've bought the saitek pro flight yoke, the throttle quadrant and the flight rudder before. They are nice but again, I have to mount them each time I play FSX. So I returned them all.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2009, 20:21 

I've not got any experience of the XBox wheel, but the Logitech MOMO and Racing Force wheels are horrible. Plastic and sub-par all the way. :(

I can't agree with that. I've got 8 years experience with sim racing and believe me, there's a much difference between Momo Force (the red one) and Momo Racing Force (black). Racing Force has no ball bearing, has no metal pots, has a plastic shifters, etc. The red Momo, IMO has one little weak point - plastic pot in the wheel but I've never had any problems with this wheel :)

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2009, 20:41 
Editors
Editors

I bow to your greater knowledge in the matter. :) I've only got the quick trials I gave various wheels in the shop to go by and basically the only one that stood out was the G25... all the others felt cheap and nasty.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2009, 23:43 
Insiders
Insiders

One thing I find universal about sim enthusiasts is they take their wheel, stick, throttle and rudder controllers apart and swap out the cheap stuff like pots and switches. After a sim enthusiast gets through with either wheel they're both good. The trick is finding the how-to webpages to do it. :wink: