Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Jul 2024, 15:19

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
PostPosted: 03 Mar 2010, 19:08 

The rig is up and running again :D

6GB straight at the first boot. Well, it has been off for quite some time, so if there's any time it would've failed, it's now, and it didn't. Happy :)

While I was at it I ripped the USB hub from the back of my old pc and put it in here. Had a free USB slot on the MoBo, and all 8 others are pretty much taken. So I figured I could use another 2 :)

Let's hope that's the end of everything I didn't hope for.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2010, 23:08 
Editors
Editors

I'll keep my fingers crossed, mate. :)

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2010, 03:15 

Same here... I really hope this doesn't happen as I will possibly be building a similar system for myself or my sister (for architecture programs)...

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2010, 05:50 

This thread was so long ago and the current posts are not related to the main topic. Maybe it's time to delete?

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2010, 14:59 
Editors
Editors

This thread was so long ago and the current posts are not related to the main topic. Maybe it's time to delete?

Never!

It started off as a thread about X-Warrior's new system, and it is still on topic of his new system 8)

Good news it's working. Troubleshooting hardware problems can be pretty demoralising at times if you have no replacements on hand!

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2010, 18:49 

Never!

It started off as a thread about X-Warrior's new system, and it is still on topic of his new system 8)

I agree ;)

Good news it's working. Troubleshooting hardware problems can be pretty demoralising at times if you have no replacements on hand!

Indeed. On the other hand, it works the other way around if it can be solved in the end. Like I did now. I have gained experience (Level up! :P). This is a long term positive effect. The negative bit was (should be) temporary. No, that doesn't mean I'd sign for trouble next time. I'm just being positive here :)

Maybe I should give a shot at calling Creative whether they have some replacement card available at a discount. I already have the bells and whistles, don't need those new. Or maybe they could fix it, who knows (that would probably be more expensive than a good new card though)... there's something fishy about the thing. I have the impression that it's not actually 'broken' physically, but it's having some kind of firmware issue. Oh well, not something to dwell on too much.

Edit: meh, they're not too fond of sharing their local phone number on their website. However, perhaps I should consider buying one of these instead: http://www.alternate.nl/html/product/Geluid/Creative/X-Fi_Titanium/-1074049/?tn=HARDWARE&l1=Geluid&l2=Kaarten. Comes with Dolby Digital Live software apparently, which would bring back the 5.1 gaming experience I had two pc builds ago, but lost due to the Digital DIN connector going obsolete. My speakers only have 2 line-in connectors, hence the normal 5.1 method doesn't work. I use the optical input. If Windows were to send a DD signal (it does now when watching movies, but not in applications like games), then I'm back into 5.1 through that cable. Also up for consideration: http://www.alternate.nl/html/product/Geluid/Creative/X-Fi_Titanium_-_Fatal1ty__Professional_Serie/-1070197/?tn=HARDWARE&l1=Geluid&l2=Kaarten, because it has some kind of casing, making it harder to break *cough* :roll:. Being PCIe cards, they would also go into somewhat more favourable positions on the motherboard (not blocking the GPU's airflow).

Any experiences with Dolby Digital Live, or any of the above cards? Suggestions? (Yep, we're back on the original topic :P)

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2010, 21:19 
Editors
Editors

The 'cases' are mostly eye-candy. Manufacturers make a case that is helps prevent EMI on the audio, but I couldn't tell the difference when I popped one in a mates machine.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2010, 22:07 

You probably need an oscilloscope or similar to notice the differences as you proceed to potentially run the signal from the nice shielded card unshielded out to your speakers/headphones anyway. But PS is right in that they are namely to avoid interference.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2010, 22:49 
Editors
Editors

You probably need an oscilloscope or similar to notice the differences as you proceed to potentially run the signal from the nice shielded card unshielded out to your speakers/headphones anyway. But PS is right in that they are namely to avoid interference.

I'm still not sold on the idea. Particularly as some leave the back of the card uncovered.

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2010, 19:27 

Update!

No, no, nothing wrong with the pc. Nothing at all it seems... except the keyboard being funny every now and then, but that seems to have been solved by disabling Legacy USB Support in the BIOS. And the side scrolling on the mouse failing is probably an Opera issue with its latest update, since IE does respond to it.
Yes, all is well.

Anyway, check out my latest post here:
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=9546&start=2835

So the next upgrade for this pc isn't going to be a fresh sound card apparently. Oh no, it's going to be a display.

Although I find it rather annoying to have to forcibly (if I want to watch those BD's - I don't just want to send them back, even though I can), I did plan on something bigger from the moment I got the new PC, something Full HD, for the BluRays. Just didn't do it outright. Well, the time has apparently come sooner than anticipated.

My requirements:

- (S)IPS panel or better
- Large viewing angle (if it's IPS that shouldn't be an issue)
- 1920x1200, 23 or 24". Specifically not 1920x1080 because it's a wrong aspect for pc gaming. However, I do realise that my choice would be very limited by this, so if there's a very good screen which just so happens to be 1920x1080, do recommend it.
- HDCP compliant (well obviously, since that's the very reason I need a new display)
- DVI, HDMI and/or DP. Does DP come with HDCP? I suppose it'll have to, being a modern connection type. DP is preferred, just because it's new and cool, but DVI will do just fine.
- Height adjustable.

Would be nice features:

- Hardware calibration. This will probably bring it to a rather high price tag though. It may however be a decisive feature if the price is good. I'd love to get rid of extra software running just to have the right colours.
- Wide gamut. Although I've also read a lot about it being more trouble than it's worth. Only if it doesn't drive up the price too much please.
- USB hub.

Not important:

- Response time. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a >16ms screen these days.
- Built in speakers. They won't be used.

Budget is pretty much the same as the PC build. I can afford what I need, and I'm willing to pay for quality. But don't go too nuts - Eizo screens look very nice, but €800 and up is pushing it rather a bit.

NEC is very good, yes?
I love my Philips, and I'd buy another one of theirs, if it weren't for all their products being TN now as far as I've seen :(

I think I'll just browse a bit, it's been discussed plenty of times before.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next