Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 Jul 2024, 11:14

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2009, 04:50 

Hi guys,

Trying to decide what streering wheel/pedal combo to buy. My problem is that most of the ones i've looked at seem to be very light and fragile. Does anyone have some sugestions for sets to look at.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2009, 06:22 

I've been considering a set myself. The main things I want are a wheel with fast response, pedals that don't lose their calibration due to cheaply made and retained potentiometers, and good game compatibility. About the only thing in the price range I was looking in that seems to have that is the Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Wheel, which can be used for PC games if you get their Wireless Gaming Receiver.

I considered the Logitech Racing Force GT too, but it's pedals are about as cheaply made as the Momos. It's also made for the PS3, so a couple of the buttons like horn for instance, won't work with PC games. It has been reviewed to be one of the best sets to use for PC games though and has a fast response wheel with a light feel similar to ball bearing ones. You can steer effortlessly with your fingertips. It also has good game compatibility, even better than the MS one from what I've read.

I'd love to see something like the Logitech G25 without clutch and H shifter at a lower price range. Many games don't support either anyway. If you end up going with something that has plastic pedal potentiometers held loosely in place, I suggest you read up on some of the tricks used to keep them from slipping, dislodging, and getting dirty. Some use putty, O rings, etc. It can keep them from becoming misaligned and causing calibration problems.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2009, 20:24 
Editors
Editors

I've not got any experience of the XBox wheel, but the Logitech MOMO and Racing Force wheels are horrible. Plastic and sub-par all the way. :(

I picked up the Logitech G25 just before Christmas as it was going 'cheap' (cheap being relative, but it's since gone up nearly 50%, so I'm not complaining...) and have absolutely no complaints about it. The build quality is superb.

Of course, for the sort of price it is, you'd expect it to be damned near perfect. ;)

You can set the H-shifter of the G25 to be a two position one with the twist of a dial, where more games support it like that.

But I have to say, I've only really tested it in the higher end racing games anyway... GRID, GTR Evo, GTR2... I had a bash in Need for Speed Most Wanted, and while it works fine, NFSMW is decidedly insensitive to the throttle on it. I think I'll need to do some playing with the setting software there.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2009, 21:05 

Yea, I have the Momo wheel, it is ok for my basic needs but not the worlds greatest.

Paradigm in response to need for speed most wanted, that game ust seems to semi suck with steering wheels anyway, so I have heard, and it didn't work well when i tried in game :/

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2009, 21:39 
Editors
Editors

Paradigm in response to need for speed most wanted, that game ust seems to semi suck with steering wheels anyway, so I have heard, and it didn't work well when i tried in game :/

Yeah, I think best case the new NFS games are designed for controllers, and worst case, they're pretty much keyboard-type racers.

Odd, as NFS3SE worked like a charm with an old MS steering wheel I had.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2009, 00:28 

You can set the H-shifter of the G25 to be a two position one with the twist of a dial, where more games support it like that.
Yeah I know, but IMO that is like making the customer pay a lot more for a shifter that doesn't make sense. There are no stick shifters in cars that shift up or down one gear at a time. Better to just offer an economy model that uses paddle shifters and no clutch, because that would sell more units and support more games. It's only a select few games and a small percentage of the race game players that are interested in paying $300 on a wheel set that has two features which few games support.

What did you pay for your G25 btw? Lowest I've seen them new is $240 on eBay.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2009, 03:38 

The one that's on my wish list is the Logitech G25 racing wheel. In case you're not familiar with what it looks like:

My huge attraction to this thing is the true clutch. Very cool and just like a real car. I hate those other ones that just have a little knob you move forward and back to pick gears - so fakey. But at $270 I'm not running out to buy this any time soon. I don't even play racers on the PC so I'd have to run out and buy one. I don't even remember but there is one particular one that works perfectly with this steering wheel (clutch and all). I imagine any of these newer wheels are much better than the old stuff. I can't mention how crappy some of the old steering wheels I've used were lol. These new ones turn very well and realistically unlike some of the cheap old ones I've used.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2009, 06:17 
Editors
Editors

The one that's on my wish list is the Logitech G25 racing wheel. In case you're not familiar with what it looks like:

My huge attraction to this thing is the true clutch. Very cool and just like a real car. I hate those other ones that just have a little knob you move forward and back to pick gears - so fakey. But at $270 I'm not running out to buy this any time soon. I don't even play racers on the PC so I'd have to run out and buy one. I don't even remember but there is one particular one that works perfectly with this steering wheel (clutch and all). I imagine any of these newer wheels are much better than the old stuff. I can't mention how crappy some of the old steering wheels I've used were lol. These new ones turn very well and realistically unlike some of the cheap old ones I've used.

Thats what I would need. I drive a stick and cant stand a auto car. So for a racing game you know I drive stick too!

I used to have a cheap wheel in the day that had a clutch and stuff it was like $80 nothing fancy but it got the job done.

Viper Racing was the main game I used it on, would have been nice to have Daytona USA.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2009, 06:32 

Eh, I don't see anything wrong with auto cars but it's fun to drive manual and since I drive a big luxo-coupe they wouldn't come with manuals anyways! Easier to get the clutch stuff for a game than to get a car with a clutch (Believe me I tried lol). I believe Ultima GTR or something like that is the game everyone uses that steering wheel with that allows the clutch movement like a real car and everything. Too bad they don't have something this good for the 360, I'd love it for Forza 2.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2009, 06:54 

Thanks guys for the help.

Have decided to go for the G25 as i got to have a feel of a display model today.

Now to convince my girlfriend that it is the perfect gift for me for my 30th in a bit over a week. :D