Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 Jul 2024, 12:24

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Antec P183 & P193
PostPosted: 31 Mar 2009, 08:02 

Antec, the global leader in computer components and accessories for the gaming, PC upgrade and Do-It-Yourself markets, today announced the P183 and P193, the latest additions to Antec's award-winning Performance One Series. The P183 and P193 cases build on the popular designs of the P182 and P190, respectively, while introducing improved cooling and airflow features, advanced noise control and compatibility with Antec's exclusive CP Series power supply.

The P183 mid-tower case utilizes the latest advancements in cooling with a dual chamber design; the power supply resides in a separate chamber to isolate heat and reduce system noise. Two TriCool(tm) 120mm fans-one rear, one top-ensure optimal cooling, while three optional fans provide additional cooling capabilities. Added vents designed in the front door also improve airflow into the P183. The double-hinged front door, which swings open to 270 degrees, allows for easy installation and customization.

The P193 Extended ATX case is designed to provide system builders with increased flexibility. The spacious interior of the P193 supports a variety of hardware, with 11 drive bays, seven expansion slots, Mini-ITX to Extended ATX motherboard compatibility, and room for multiple graphics cards and dual CPUs. Four TriCool(tm) fans-one rear, two top, and one side Big Boy 200(tm)-ensure maximum air circulation, while three optional fans offer additional cooling capabilities. Like the P183, the P193 also features a dual chamber design to isolate heat and noise, added vents in the front door to improve airflow, and a double-hinged front door for easy installation.

via HardOCP

http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=MTgxNg==
http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=MTgwOA==

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2009, 19:06 

Though I like the changes, I don't like that they now short you two fans. The P182 had a lower front fan and one between the lower HDD bay and PSU area, which could easily be relocated at the front of the upper HDD bay. Being as an Antec Tricool fan will set you back about $15, the P183 is really downsized considerably in features to the tune of about $30.

It's especially hard to take when they list this as part of what's new for the P183:

"-Lower chamber fan is now located in front of the hard drive cage"

...really, I could have swore they just previously said it was optional.

Perhaps the best thing is that you can now get the more spacious P190 series case without a PSU. I never did like their dual PSU the original came with. Hopefully we'll see them for well under $210 by year's end.

(EDITED)
...or perhaps well BEFORE year's end! http://www.provantage.com/antec-p193~7ANTG05K.htm

Found this too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xqUkUNu-IU&fmt=18

Post subject: rply
PostPosted: 31 Mar 2009, 19:55 

They really didn't change anything much with the new p183 and p190.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2009, 05:45 
Insiders
Insiders

Am I the only one who prefers the plain P180B because these new models look gaudy as all hell?

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2009, 20:07 

Am I the only one who prefers the plain P180B because these new models look gaudy as all hell?
The only thing I find strange looks wise is the Big Boy side fan on the P193 now looks like one of Dumbo's ears. However there was a very sound reason they moved it to the case exterior, to provide better space for tall CPU coolers.

The only other change that's really all that noticeable aesthetically is the vent slots they added to the front of the door. I don't have a problem with that, though it is a bit odd they put them only on one side. I'll probably have the door fully swung open against the side of the case most of the time anyway for max air flow.

Personally I am excited to finally see a full featured roomy gaming case that is quiet, fully filtered, has great air flow, and easily fits the longest GPUs. All the better that it's already being advertised for under $160.

The P180 is still a great case, and of course the one they built their quiet performance series reputation on, but anymore it's cramped size and lack of features makes it a bit outdated for use with high power modern gear.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2009, 23:16 

My P180 has been through hell, lans, you name it...it has more half mods (cuts/etc to reroute fans/wires). I consider it on par with the P182 (with the wire management) thanks to those. However, I think the new case looks abit...cheap...

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2009, 00:10 

I don't care for the door holes of mini 180 and the 1x3 cases. I also agree that the massive fan on the 193 looks a touch stupid, but what are you gonna do, I just think how the protrusion is shaped looks funny, they probably could have made it look nicer, maybe a circular protrusion with smooth edges, but round goes against the industrial squared off case style.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2009, 18:22 
Editors
Editors

I'd think about a P193 if it didn't have that... growth... on the side.

Otherwise, I'll stick with my Silverstone TJ07 and Chieftec server case, thanks.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2009, 00:46 

I'd think about a P193 if it didn't have that... growth... on the side.

Otherwise, I'll stick with my Silverstone TJ07 and Chieftec server case, thanks.
Yeah, as much as I like the P193 that ear is mighty ugly and obtrusive, despite it being there to NOT get in the way.

I really like some design features of some of the Silverstones, like the FT01. There are some things that make it a deal breaker for me though, like the dust filters being way too hard to get at and the added expense of needlessly using unibody alu construction. I'm also not a big fan of bottom mounted intake vents, which are harder to get at and suck more dust in.

I suggested to them on the phone they make an economy riveted steel version with easy to clean filters, and they said they'd pass it on to their engineers.

Why is it most every case has something about it that keeps you from buying it?

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2009, 03:36 

Why is it most every case has something about it that keeps you from buying it?

Sadly the same goes for everything. Why is nothing perfect :(