Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 23:16

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Noobie need some help ;p
PostPosted: 18 Nov 2009, 21:17 

Hi guys i am about to buy a new graphic card and 3 monitors :D

i am about Gigabyte GTX 295 or Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5870 btw ATI have lower price ;p if far away the diffreance at fps?

monitors like this SAMSUNG SYNCMASTER 2443NW with only 15pin D-Sub is posible to get connected x3 with this graphic cards?

Sorry i am noob at multimonitors :(

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2009, 21:40 
Insiders
Insiders

I havn't really looked, But you can go with the following:

1. Gigabyte GTX 295 + TH2Go DE + 3x DVI->VGA Adapters
----------This will give you a max res of 5040x1050 (3x1680x1050).

2. ATI Radeon HD 5870 + 2x DVI->VGA Adapters + 1x Active (Powered) DP->VGA Adapter.
----------This will give you the max res of your monitors.

3. ATI Radeon HD 5870 + 2x DVI->VGA Adapters + 1x DP Monitor
----------This will give you the max res of your monitors.

4. ATI Radeon HD 5870 + 3x DVI->VGA Adapters + 1x Active (Powered) DP->DVI Adapter.
----------This will give you the max res of your monitors. But I'm not sure if it will work. Can someone Test to see if you can use a DVI->VGA Adapter off of an Active (Powered) DP->DVI Adapter?

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2009, 21:46 

If you go with the Nvidia you need a product called Triple Head 2 Go to run 3 monitors or you can use the software alternative softth and take a performance hit http://www.kegetys.net/SoftTH/.

With the ATI 5870 you can run 3 monitors in digital mode (1 must be displayport otherwise you have to buy a 100USD adapter to convert the signal from displayport to dvi. However the 5870 can run 3 monitors natively without additional software or hardware. (provided you don't need the active display port adapter)

Note that the working list for SoftTH is relatively small so to run a wider variety of games you would probably need a TripleHead2Go which is 250-300USD last I checked. Putting the Nvidia card at a much higher price point.

I would go with ATI personally and just try to get displayport monitors (or remember to pick up a passive adapter.

The triple head 2 go option can use the analog version of triple head 2 go to use all 15 pin dsub

I cannot remember how 5870s do vga if they can put it out through both dvi ports or only 1 (it looks like it has two analog converters so it may be able to do 2) The displayport adapters convert to dvi but I do not think displayport on the ATI card carries any analog information so you would need an expensive digital to analog conversion box to make the dvi a dsub/vga output which may introduce lag

In short I would reccomend a different monitor with dvi inputs at the least, a displayport is preferred in addition to dvi.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2009, 03:31 

Thanks alot for help guys i didn't know anything about Triple Head 2 Go and SoftTH thats make things more clearly cheers. :D

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2009, 05:46 

4. ATI Radeon HD 5870 + 3x DVI->VGA Adapters + 1x Active (Powered) DP->DVI Adapter.
----------This will give you the max res of your monitors. But I'm not sure if it will work. Can someone Test to see if you can use a DVI->VGA Adapter off of an Active (Powered) DP->DVI Adapter?

probably not, the adapter would need to support analog signals which I see no reason for implementing in a converter when you can have the correct direct adapter

one thing though for the thread starter, I wouldn't personally buy any VGA only panel anymore, not future proof, worse quality, less functionality

also one precision for 58xx & 59xx series, two legacy (VGA/DVI/HDMI) screens are supported natively with direct or passive cheap simple adaptors , the third one needs a DP screen or a DP active adaptor (which was said already)

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2009, 06:37 

Hi guys i am about to buy a new graphic card and 3 monitors :D

i am about Gigabyte GTX 295 or Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5870 btw ATI have lower price ;p if far away the diffreance at fps?

monitors like this SAMSUNG SYNCMASTER 2443NW with only 15pin D-Sub is posible to get connected x3 with this graphic cards?

I'd just get a DP monitor in the first place. Also if you are thinking about the 295, might as well pay for the 5970.

"I sense something, a presence I've not felt since......."

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2009, 16:06 

[quote]Hi guys i am about to buy a new graphic card and 3 monitors :D

i am about Gigabyte GTX 295 or Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5870 btw ATI have lower price ;p is far away the diffreance at fps?

I'd just get a DP monitor in the first place. Also if you are thinking about the 295, might as well pay for the 5970.

Can you tell me what DP monitor is? have a diffreance from other 2 monitors? or is just a trick at connection, like this i can't have 3 same monitors? Please give a sample of monitor , 3x Samsung 2443BWT - 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor - 20,000:1 (DC), 5ms, 1920 x 1200, DVI will work with ATI 5870 with provided software hardware?

Sorry again for asking so much details!
Thanks

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2009, 16:18 

Can you tell me what DP monitor is? have a diffreance from other 2 monitors? or is just a trick at connection, like this i can't have 3 same monitors? Please give a sample of monitor , 3x Samsung 2443BWT - 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor - 20,000:1 (DC), 5ms, 1920 x 1200, DVI will work with ATI 5870 with provided software hardware?

Thanks

a DP monitor = a Display Port monitor = a monitor equipped with a Display Port connector

for your 3x Samsung example, DVI will work if you get one DP=>DVI ACTIVE adapter for the third DVI panel
see the sticky about active adapters in the eyefinity subforum for more details on how & where to buy one

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2009, 16:37 

[quote]Can you tell me what DP monitor is? have a diffreance from other 2 monitors? or is just a trick at connection, like this i can't have 3 same monitors? Please give a sample of monitor , 3x Samsung 2443BWT - 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor - 20,000:1 (DC), 5ms, 1920 x 1200, DVI will work with ATI 5870 with provided software hardware?

Thanks

a DP monitor = a Display Port monitor = a monitor equipped with a Display Port connector

for your 3x Samsung example, DVI will work if you get one DP=>DVI ACTIVE adapter for the third DVI panel
see the sticky about active adapters in the eyefinity subforum for more details on how & where to buy one

What he said, I just think it too much a hassle to not get DP Monitors if you are going for eyefinity. You have to use that adapter and what not, and I have heard some not so good things about it. So yeah.

"I sense something, a presence I've not felt since......."