Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 22:26

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2009, 11:23 

I started a thread in the Eyefinity group about having $1,000 and thinking about Eyefinity. I think I might have to spend a bit less than that though due to some other things coming up, so I am debating several options. Help me out by picking one of the poll choices and indicating why.

Note: Most important thing for me with games is super smooth 60fps performance with AA whenever possible.

Thanks.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2009, 11:28 
Insiders
Insiders

I hate it when stuff comes up.

Hm, since the move the phbb-whatever 3, my Opera 10 isn't able to select poll options...

I'm as stumped as you, but I'd expect the i7 prices to drop before the video cards, and you already have a beefy CPU, s I'd go for a video card.

Maybe do like me, and buy a 5870 now and and other and/or i7 goodness in the new year. Squeeze a few ore months out of 775. I was kinda in the same boat, but the i7 parts i wanted were a LOT, still. Now I'm waiting for more USB 3/sata3 boards.

Or spend it on coke and whores.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2009, 11:32 
Editors
Editors

Spend it on coke and whores

+1.

if not a ps3.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2009, 13:24 

Maybe do like me, and buy a 5870 now and and other and/or i7 goodness in the new year. Squeeze a few ore months out of 775. I was kinda in the same boat, but the i7 parts i wanted were a LOT, still. Now I'm waiting for more USB 3/sata3 boards.

I kind of like the idea of a 5870 because then the next time I get some cash I can do a simple and relatively cheap upgrade for Eyefinity. That said, nVidia might have a similar thing going on in early 2010 and a processor upgrade would mean no wasted upgrade if nVidia comes out swinging.

A PS3 is tempting for some of the exclusives, notably Demon's Souls, Killzone 2 and Uncharted, but as a die-hard PC gamer I wonder how much the low-res, lack of AA and analog controls will annoy me. I have "gone console" before and it never lasted long.

Arg.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2009, 14:46 
Founder
Founder

Fixed poll problem.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2009, 14:59 
Editors
Editors

Good stuff, seems to work OK now.

I picked PS3 because I did the same with a 360. I figured all this hardware was still a bit too new, and wanted to wait for the kinks to be worked out, so the cheapest second hand console I could find was just the ticket for the rest of this year and early next.

I already have the i7 and have barely used it, so I wouldn't recommend you get that, it's proper overkill. MOST games will still get bottlenecked by the GPU before the CPU, especially in super high res's, even on a 775 quad.

If you're not going to get everything now (monitors, gfx card, adaptors) then there's no point getting just one of them, as you need them all to get Eyefinity working.

Remember, you never NEED to spend money you have, it can always be saved :P (I know I'm boring). You say you have something coming up, wait for that, see how much you have left, and properly budget for the future. You may find drip feeding that grand into other areas may benefit you more than a single purchase can.

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2009, 15:03 
Editors
Editors

I said PS3 for one main reason. Since you're mostly a PC gamer, I'll presume you like games that often make you think. Disgaea 3 (PS3 exclusive) is such a game. It also does so with some good humour and enjoyable characters.

Other reasons being... a second GTX275 probably isn't worth it. Core i7 might get cheaper when new chips are released in January, the 5870/5970 might drop in price when the nVidia competition is launched... too much flux in the market... the PS3 is a more consistent variable.

But you can always save it for a while and see again in a few months.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2009, 15:47 

Hey you responsible people, get out mah thread!

:lol:

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2009, 20:51 

I chose 5870, because that's exactly what I will be buying for myself in a week.

I don't think I am missing out on anything in the PS3 market... as I have an Xbox and am fine for that (not only that but all my friends have an xbox, so we get together and play MW2 and what not).

I also don't think a core i7 is worth it, I run an Phenom X4 965 BE and I love it!

5970 is overkill. If you need more get another 5870 in the future, but not now.

And the GTX... last gen. No more words.

"I sense something, a presence I've not felt since......."

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2009, 02:32 
Insiders
Insiders

I would have put in a vote for a quality home theater setup for your computer, but that wasn't an option. So instead I put in a vote for the PS3. You're computer is plenty beefy enough already anyway don't you think?