Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Jul 2024, 16:49

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: DIY monitor stand
PostPosted: 02 Aug 2010, 20:47 

I'm thinking and working on this for quite some time now.
Saw all that nice stuff from ergotech and always the hefty (for me that is) price tag next to it..

Being an mechanical engineer i set out to design a low cost monitor stand.

My current set-up consists of three HP LP2065 4:3 1600x1200 monitors. (because i wanted S-IPS panels and think 3x widescreen is too wide, personal taste).

My design list containes the following:
- low price
- mounted to wall
- room to lead cables through
- easy removable monitors when hanging on wall
- some rudiment sort of adjustment

The design i made up of 4 parts: one base frame and three indentical VESA 100x100 brackets

All brackets and base frame components are made out of 2mm cold rolled sheetmetal

The side brackets only have to be lifted 15mm to detach from the main frame. They can slide a little in lazer-cut slots on top af the main frame.

All parts are notched and can be assembled just like a jigsaw puzzle. Notches have to be tack-welded so even a noob in welding could put it together.

All modeled in 3D. Afterwards 2D dxf are generated and send to be lazer-cut.

Materials, shipping and handeling for current model is something around €50,- excl. vat..
To get lower shipping i had to cut the longest top and lower part of the frame in half (so this has to be welded later on)

But what great ideas do you guys have: Table stand? More adjustability?

And what strength concernes:

Only 0.18mm deformation static load. calculated with earth gravity and 9kg per monitor.

Post subject: Re: DIY monitor stand
PostPosted: 04 Aug 2010, 03:34 

The lack of adjustability means you better like how it works. With your current slot mechanism maybe put a m6 bolt or two behind each of the vesa plates so you can change the pitch up and down of the monitors. You would have to alter the tabs probably with some curves so they can manage to tilt.

Also what metal are you using. I am going to assume steel because of the strength. If you are using 6061 Aluminum (pretty common alloy over here) be wary of the fact that 6061 T6 aluminum loses its strength when welded, so bear in mind it wont be as strong (80% loss of strength) once welded.

But given you talk about noobs welding it, I am gonna guess steel as aluminum melts too fast for noobs to use.

Also, if the back plates are only being welded on I would be a little bit concerned about breaking depending on the quality of the weld.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2010, 08:55 

Thanks for the response! :cheers

Indeed, its steel: KGW DC01 as they call it here or 1.0330 and St12.

Aluminium would be too difficult to weld especially with the small 2mm thickness. Also strength would be a concern..

You have a point with weld strength at the wall mounting plates. Tack welding alone would not suffice. I guess extra welding around the plates would be required.
Possibility would be placing some gussets on top and bottom..

I am looking into adjustability at the moment. But basically: what do we need adjustment for when using three screens? If all three monitors should line up i don't have any use for extra tilt, swivel and height adjustment for each monitor individually do i??

I have to say this mount is custom made for the HP LP2065, Ergotech (for example) has to keep in mind the only standard dimension is the VESA mounting. For the rest customers want to fit any type and size of monitor to it..

Maybe i would like to adjust the complete construction in relation to the wall/stand?

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2010, 19:48 

Yea, I agree there isn't any point for adjusting single monitors differently as it is custom made. However, it may be easier to put adjustments on each monitor and adjust them rather than find a way to keep the structural integrity of the wall mount while allowing it to have some tilting ability. If you wanted to do something like a hinge you wou would run into the issue that is the mount of torque those monitors have hanging down. At 9 kg a monitor, so like 20 lbs. 60 collectively at probably 3inches away from the hinge is 180 inch pounds of torque. The best friction hinges I could find with a quick google could handle 50 inch pounds of torque. If you want to do it with some sort of hinge you will need one that locks by tightening a bolt or something. I found some locking hinges without a bolt but they adjust in 10 degree increments. Could handle to torque, but 10 degrees is a pretty big change so you wouldnt get fine adjustment.