Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 01 Jul 2024, 10:35

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Touchscreen advice pls
PostPosted: 15 Oct 2010, 10:00 

I currently use 3 x 22inch monitors in surround via 2 x 480's. I race online and am interested in viewing telemetry, TS3 and or set up matrix PDF's without having to alt-tab back to my desktop all the time. I was thinking of attaching (via USB) a mimo monitor (iMo monster 10)
http://www.mimomonitors.com/

1/ will this work so I could see selected programs from my desktop without getting out of the game ?

2/ Does anyone use this sort of stuff for gaming etc ?

3/ If so, does the mouse run onto the monitor like it does in surround, or is it touch activated only ?

Thanks
Mike

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2010, 16:12 
Insiders
Insiders

1/ will this work so I could see selected programs from my desktop without getting out of the game ?
2/ Does anyone use this sort of stuff for gaming etc ?
3/ If so, does the mouse run onto the monitor like it does in surround, or is it touch activated only ?

1)No, it will shift focus away from the game.
2)People may use it, but they don't do better.
3)The touch interface just tells the computer where to put the mouse and where to click. Most touch interfaces just make the mouse invisible.

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2010, 20:56 
Editors
Editors

Dell's Studio laptops come with a touchscreen option now, but I don't know whether that "removes" the need for a cursor or not (I'd hate to be permanently missing a mouse cursor just for touchscreen...)

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2010, 23:24 

ok thanks,

so if I were to open the programs I wanted to view on the touch screen first ie telemetry, which are linked to the game executables, and then got into the game, data would be running in real time and viewable. Does this sound correct?
If I were then to touch the screen, the game would go back to desk top.

I read that guys use this sort of thing to view maps etc in FPS/RTS games. And that some even use them as a virtual dash via an extra program, but I havnt found anyone using this AND surround to confirm it can be done. (ATM) I am sure it could be done, just dont quite know how.

Thanks for your thoughts and any ideas.

Mike

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2010, 00:19 

There are a lot of programs that display telemetry on a secondary display. The now defunct Sim Tools did this for the ISI based sims.

There is also the Takatec display:

Which sim are you running?

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2010, 02:23 

rFactor, Evo, iRacing . That is exactly what I am looking to do.
As background info, I already have a cockpit, allbeit, pretty basic in concept and built just after I discovered sim racing several years ago

with a wonderfull Ergotech tripple screen stand which will free up my next cockpit build.... (shamless plug :mrgreen: )

and am starting to purchase Frex parts (especially as our $$$ is equal to the greenback ATM)

I intend to order the Frex sim display for cockpit gauge info to sit in front of the wheel. And build a new cockpit with a full racing style dash board with inbuilt buttons/switch's etc, What I intend to do is also install a touch screen ( http://www.mimomonitors.com/) off to the right in a console to display TS, and real time telemetry or PDF set up matrix so I can test and tweak as I go with out having to alt-tab all the time (some mods in rF dont like this and will crash the game)
the whole thing will be covered in carbon fibre film (vynal print, not the real stuff) and or Di-noc.... Its a fairley involved and detailed project that will be more than a weekend build. :wink:

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2010, 05:18 

Your setup is looking good!

Have you considered running the sim in windowed mode stretched across your triple monitors? This may allow you to access the telemetry info on your secondary (touchscreen) monitor while keeping the sim maximized in the triple monitors.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2010, 22:24 

I guess there is also the option of running a 4th screen using the fourth outlet from the GPU's. Would surround still work and display (just show) the desktop on the 4th screen ?

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2010, 09:59 
Editors
Editors

Not sure about EyeFinity, but I remember someone correcting me about nV Surround allowing a fourth monitor when Surround is enabled... basically, it doesn't work.

That doesn't mean that a fourth monitor off a third GPU wouldn't necessarily work, though.