Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Jul 2024, 14:43

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2011, 10:11 

Which RAM config is best for performance boost (real life benchmark), considering that the CPU & other components remain unchanged? I mean, which is more important for performance: memory capacity or memory clock? The 4GB kit are Kingston Value RAM while the 2GB kit are Kingston HyperX RAM.

CPU: Intel C2D E8400 3GHz (6MB L2, 1333MHz FSB)
Mobo: Asus P5K Pro (P35 chipset, support up to 8GB of 1066/800/667MHz memory)

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2011, 12:53 
Editors
Editors

Depends. If you're after bandwidth hungry apps that don't actually use lots of RAM, then 2GB will be faster. If you're after using apps that will use more than 2GB, then 4GB will lessen the impact of swapping to the HDD.

In practice, outside of synthetic benchmarks, you're unlikely to see a whole lot of difference between the two, except in scenarios where the 2GB system is swapping to the HDD heavily because it's run out of free RAM.

I wouldn't recommend less than 4GB of RAM now, unless you're trying to build a system that serves a very specific purpose and doesn't need to be high-power.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2011, 15:30 
Administrators
Administrators

+1 to Paradigm Shifter's comment.
Idealy you would do better to go for 4gb.
You may find that you will use up 2GB quite quickly, with windows its self using a large chunk of it.
If you use 2gb and find that you require more than 2gb, you will notice that using the hard disks swap file will have a huge hit on performance.

Even though the 4gb @ 800mhz might be slightly slower, the difference in most applications will not be noticable, what would be noticeable is using the hard disks swap file.

If you are ultimately unsure, then I would go for the 4gb kit as this would give you greater flexability and will last you longer before you start having major performance issues.

| Gigabyte X79S-UP5-WiFi Skt2011 | i7 4820k @4.4GHz Watercooled (Ivy Bridge-E) | Corsair Vengence 32GB @2133MHz 11-11-11-27 2T Quad-Channel (8x4GB) | AMD R9-Fury-X 4GB @1140/505MHz + EKWB Watercooled | 256GB Crucial MX200 SSD | 8x 1TB Samsung F3 SATA-II | Corsair 850W TX PSU | 3x Dell S2209W 22"wide TFT's (5760x1080res) | Logitech Z-5400 5.1ch speakers | Win7 Ultimate x64 |

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2011, 13:25 

4GB it is then. Thanks for all your answers.

Update #1: Well, this is awkward... After installing another 2 sticks of 1GB RAM (now total: 4GB), Windows is unable to detect my sound card. I thought I installed it incorrectly, because I also replaced the hard drive's SATA cable after installing the memory modules. The sound card's rear was too near to the SATA ports, so I temporarily removed it to avoid my hand from bumping into it. But no matter how many times I reinsert the sound card, Windows still cannot detect it. Now I don't think the problem is the sound card because its Power light is on.

My sound card is X-fi Xtreme Gamer Fatality Pro. It comes with 64MB on-board memory (Creative calls it X-RAM). So... anyone has a problem similar to mine? Can reinstalling 64-bit Windows solve this?

Update #2: This is weird. When I used the 2 X 1GB 1066Mhz configuration, Windows still couldn't detect my PCI Sound card. Also, Creative's driver installer encountered error during installation ("couldn't detect supported device" message).

But when I used my old RAMs (2 X 1GB 800Mhz), there it is in the device manager (identified as multimedia audio device). Driver installation was successful.

On-board audio works fine in both configurations. I don't get it... How could the HyperX memories disabled my PCI device? I wonder if Asus' Super Memspeed technology is flawed, because P35 chipset only officially supports up to 800Mhz DDR2 (only DDR3 can go up to 1333Mhz). Super Memspeed allows P35 to support DDR2 1066Mhz.

Asus still hasn't replied my inquiry.

Update #3: Never mind. Even Asus is clueless.