Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Jul 2024, 09:12

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2013, 23:12 

Hey guys (and gals). I just bought an Asus Geforce GTX 680 as a replacement for my old (ish) Asus Radeon HD 6970, and so far everything's going good. I was a little concerned that the NVidia surround wouldn't be as good as Eyefinity, but I'm assuming that the Surround update that came out last year really upped the quality of NVidia's software.

Anyways, my situation is this. I've currently got 3 Samsung SyncMaster 2320's set up (excellent monitors), and I'm interested in getting a 120hz monitor; presumably as a replacement for one of my current monitors. I'm looking at the 3D Vision stuff, which I would be interested in for sure; but I'm mostly interested in being able to play games higher than 60 fps. A few quick questions that arise are...
1. Can I still have a Surround setup with only 1 120hz monitor?
2. If I played games in Surround (6020X1080 is my current resolution), would my fps cap at 60 for all monitors like normal, or would issues arise with a different monitor?
3. How do games determine whether the fps can be higher or not? ie. If I played games in a window (which I tend to do when the Eyefinity/Surround doesn't work) on the 120hz monitor, would things still be gravy?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'd rather not spend money on something I'm not fully familiar with if I don't have to (and in this case I obviously don't HAVE to).

As for actual monitors, these are what I currently have http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-SyncMas ... B003PCNYR6
I like these ones because they have a relatively small bezel on the side, and I've had really good luck with Samsung in the past. And as for what I'm looking at,
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... alParent=1 This one is apparently a good monitor (with a good price!), and obviously it should match what I've already got relatively well. Does anybody else have any other suggestions?

I can give more info if you need anything else, this was all I could think to say right now...

Oh, and any comments on the 3D vision would be awesome too, because that's something I'd be interested in if I got a 120hz monitor (either that or I'll wait for an Oculus Rift).

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2013, 18:50 

Bit surprised you don't have a reply yet. :) I'll do my best but I'm no expert...

1: From what I recall, 2d surround just needs the same resolution/refresh. So yes.
2: You would not be able to run 2d surround in anything but 60. Refresh would match the slower monitors.
3: I think it's mostly based on your hardware/refresh as to how many frames a game can push...perhaps I don't understand the question

I have 3 BenQ XL2420T monitors and do some 3d surround gaming. If the game supports 3d vision and I mean full 3d Vision support, not just an excellent rating...then I'm fairly impressed with the results. When it comes down to it though, I have been more impressed with 2d surround as I feel it makes a larger impact on a higher degree of games. Plus Nvidia is a bit of a pita to turn 3d vision on and off (last time I tried it anyway).

You should be able to switch back and forth at will. If you 120 refresh or 3d vision just turn off surround and enjoy.

I hope this is a bit helpful. Someone else should jump in here as I may be off on some of this, but I have answered as best I can.