Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Jul 2024, 10:39

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2013, 20:07 

Hello guys,

So the opprotunity to upgrade has presented itself, from the setup ive got that is 3x1 SLS TN 23 23.6 23, and the decision to what has not been yet set.

The options are simple, one big 30" SPS with QuadHD Res, like 2500 x 1600. and the other is going the TriMon path, but 24"x3 PLP 16:10 x1200 Instead, cause im seriously weary from having to run games in FS-Windowed, Using hacklike fixes that gets outdated fast, and the other wayarounds to get stuff to properly sacle to the ultra wide 48:9 AR.

The diffrence is the picture quality, versus .. bezels in portrait... i'll admit that they do not bother me the slightest with SLS, but.. at only 24" with PLP, i'm not sure they wont.

Both options will be SPS panels, with very thin bezels, except the big 30" has around 3-4Mbp less than the 24x3.

Whats your take guys?

Thanks,

Prone.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2013, 20:54 
Insiders
Insiders

There is no debate. They're setups for two different types of users. One is FOV the other is pixel density. To confuse the two target audiences is to misunderstand them.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2013, 21:35 

Consider this to be an self debate? as .. i'm undecided which path to go.

why diffrent audience? Both will work great for gaming, im just not sure which would do better. mutl tasking is also nice, but SLS is not an valid option for me due to the reasons noted.

BTW 24x3 16:10 has equal if not better FoV to an QuadHD, the issue that could be, is the Bezels, given that in PLP they are much closer than SLS, how will that affect im unsure, ive not tried such setup previously, hence i'm wondering whats your recommendation. so its really an lower Pix density VS Bezels i'd suppose.. what would you take for gaming multi tasking?

thanks,

Prone

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2013, 05:27 
Insiders
Insiders

I also upgraded recently after one of my monitors died after 5 years of constant use and I had to make this same decision.

What it came down to for me was one question: Am I willing to put in a bit of work and occasionally compromise to continue to play games on a surround setup? As somebody who went as far as to follow instructions on hex editing my Doom 3 executible files to work in surround, the answer was an immediate "Yes."

To really play games on an eyefinity setup, it often requires people to "get smart" and know a few things about how games work and how to implement the fixes. Mostly this applies to old games that actually require extensive editing of game files, and have no all-in-one fixer tool; but hey, I play a lot of old games.

Imagine if you took somebody who is unwilling to "get smart" and had them play an unpatched version Bioshock in triplewide without a fix. They would get upset and return to single screen gaming because it works with zero effort on their part. This is the different from the two different audiences that BHawthorne is talking about, but I think it still applies.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2013, 10:30 

I have a 100 fullhd projector hooked up to my xbox 360, ps3 and htpc which can also game at full settings at 60fps.

i also have my gamerig pc hooked up to 3 42inch screens at 5860x1080. and 90% of the time i'll play on my triple screen gamerig.
The triple screen does take more tweaking, but i find it is more immersive then just the big screen. they are bigger monitors then you are planing on.

but thats just my preference.

3 x 42 inch screens @5860x1080
16 gigs xmp ram @2200

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2013, 23:06 

Hey guys and thank you for your opinions.

But you both seem to have missed the part where ive mentioned im tired from games not scaling properly to 48:9 SLS mode with triple monitors, even after fiddling with cfgs, using fixes etc, some just wont properly perform, some that im playing, which is even more troublesome.

Hence, the only 3x1 i'm considering is PLP, but at 24" 16:10 1920x1200, im not sure the bezels wont get in the way, hence im trying to get opinions from you guys, who has more experience with these setups.. one b ig 2500x1600 monitor vs three 16:10's at PLP, what would you choose?

Just like previously noted, either option will be slim bezel model, with SPS panel.

Thanks,

Prone