Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Sep 2024, 09:26

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2009, 15:07 

Ok i'm kinda new to this as i've approached semi-surround gaming few days ago and i'm all excited by the performance and the immersion...
I'm speaking about semi because as of now i only have 2x DELL 27" and one little ugly analog monitor to act as left side display to work with softTH.

Now my question is pretty simple, from what i can understand from all the topics regarding the relative FOV it is needed when the image spans horizontally....but if the displays are angled by 45° degree compared to the central monitor it shouldn't be needed as i'm simulating the natural field of view for the human eye, or am I wrong?
My idea was to have two side displays both angled to 45° compared to the central one and use no FOV to have a more realistic immersion.
It would look something silmilar to this but with one more 27" flat LCD to the left:

Is my theory correct or am I delirious?

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2009, 19:43 

There is exact way to calculate realistic FOV (if that's what you want). Just google for:
FOV The Forgotten Factor

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2009, 19:59 

This is not a matter of FOV calculation, my question is: do i need a FOV if i angle the side monitors by 45 degrees as i'm correcting the angle phisically?

UPDATE: ok the more i dive into this the more i understand about it, so with 45° angled monitors i would need something about 160° as it almost cover my full human field of view...?

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2009, 20:27 

You have to use bigger FOV than normally, to see more...

I'm sure you want to see more with your triple-monitor setup compared to single-monitor, that's the whole idea of Surround Gaming...

Or maybe you're talking about the angles between different viewports? I'm not familiar with SoftTH, so I can't say if it's possible or not. It is not possible to adjust angles between monitors with Matrox TripleHead2Go, unless the game itself supports this feature (like rFactor, for example).

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2009, 21:45 

My question comes from the image perspective i get on the side monitors, objects tend to get fat too fast as the in game angle increases.
As u can see in the picture Isaac is standing(more or les) in the middle of the main screen and the perspective is correct but on the right side monitor the more u look at the far end of the image the more the image gets stretched, and that is caused by the limited FOV i have come to understand.
With a 160°+ FOV offered by a triwide monitor setup i must increase the ingame FOV to reduce the stretching effect...realistically i should set the FOV to about 160° as it is how much i can see with the far end corner of my eyes(3 monitors like these almost occupy my entire field of view wich is supposed to be 178(for any normal human being)).
Now looking around the net i've come to know that DEAD SPCE doesn't have any option or hack to modify the ingame FOV so i'm screwed with a distorted image :-/ sucks.
I think i started this topic with little knowledge and not fully understanding the FOV issue and thus the title is kinda n00biishly wrong :)

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2009, 23:13 
Insiders
Insiders

The monitor angle is what I think you are getting at? In my rig the side monitors are about 30 degrees off from the main one. I did it by measuring the distance from my eye in the centre monitor and then making the side monitors have the same distance to their centres as well.

Works good for me :)

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2009, 00:01 
Editors
Editors

It doesn't matter what size FOV you have the side screens will be distorted.

Take a read of this sticky at the top of this section of the forum ... http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/node/7185

Maybe by angling the screens you will compensate for the distortion to a degree but god knows how you would calculate the angles/FOV needed to get it exactly right in order to perceive no distortion.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2009, 23:07 

Thanks it was very illuminating, i have now a better understanding of the matter.