Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 17 Jun 2024, 16:03

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2007, 10:25 

This game is looking nice indeed.

As a lover of the sport and a skater myself(had a bit of time off from skating... but want to get back into it sometime soon), this game is really exciting for me.

Its more of a skating sim unlike Tony Hawk's which is all about huge combo's and heaps of points. (I still like TH's though)

You use the analog sticks to peform all the tricks, sounds a little tricky at first but I really like the idea.

Anyway here's the site:
http://www.ea.com/skate/
And here is the US site: http://www.ea.com/skate/home.jsp
The UK and US sites are different, the US one has more stuff on it.

Pics..

I know its by EA.... and I know most of you guys don't like them much. But I think EA are doing a great job on this game... I'm hoping its really good.

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2007, 19:45 
Editors
Editors

Here's hoping it's better than most of the recent Tony Hawk's games...

I still play THPS3 more than any of the others, because I prefer it. 4, THUG and THUG2 did not go over too well with me...

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2007, 20:27 

I know its by EA.... and I know most of you guys don't like them much. But I think EA are doing a great job on this game... I'm hoping its really good.

EA can (and often does) release amazing work when they really want to. Unfortunately this level of polish is only apparent in their console games. EA sucks big time when it comes to their PC ports. "Oh a game has native widescreen on the console? Let's remove that feature from the PC port!".

Fight Night Round 3 on the 360 is an amazing looking game. This one looks great from the screenies.

I used to be a skater (my scarred shins are proof of that). I think using the left analog stick to control the tricks makes so much sense. It could be really fun. If done correctly, this mechanic could really rock especially for those of us who used to skate. To ollie, you bring the right analog down and then quickly up (Just like the movement your back and front foot would do on the board). I imagine kick-flips to be Down-Up-Right(or left depending on regular vs. goofy foot). Hopefully they nail this down.

All I need is some inspiration and I'll go out and break an ankle trying to skate again.

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2007, 20:42 
Editors
Editors

A friend dragged me skating a few times. It was quite fun, even though I wasn't terribly good. ;)

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2007, 00:14 
Editors
Editors

Here's hoping it's better than most of the recent Tony Hawk's games...

I still play THPS3 more than any of the others, because I prefer it. 4, THUG and THUG2 did not go over too well with me...

Absolutely.

I was a HUGE (read - HUUUUUUUGEEEEEEE) fan of the TH series. I had the first game on the ps1 and thought it was Godlike. Then on a trip back from the US, i saw THPS2 for the PC in EB at the airport and almost wet myself. I then played that game SOLID for years. (At school, i even gave a presentation in English about the game for my Oral :P) THPS3 then went a bit cartoony, but stayed to the roots still with 2 mins timed runs and stuff, and added in the reverts to make insane combos.

After that it all went down the shitter when it went all free roam and away from skateboarding.

I still reckon there's no one alive who could beat me at THPS2 or 3! Millions and millions of points in a 2min run became a doddle on TH3.

Ah the memories.

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2007, 04:28 

Yeah I loved the TH games so much... then they sorta lost there charm. I stilled played them, but wasn't nearly as fun as the good old TH 2 days.

I'm hoping EA can make this game awesome, still needs a little polish here and there with the animations (looks a little stiff).
With on open ended city apparently the size of Vice City its sounding like its going in the right direction.

Here's a pic of some of the control's on the 360:

I know what ya mean Gabbo, EA have some great console games.. but tend to mess up the PC ports and stuff. Hopefully they are working on this for there new games... C&C 3 was promising.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2007, 11:03 

PC release?
and those controls looks like they'd be a BITCH to play on a keyboard.
*kisses his 360 controller*

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2007, 16:58 

Its EA so there is a good chance of a PC release I reckon... but Keyboard would be pretty bad... :lol:

Maybe you could use the mouse... I dunno.. hehe

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2007, 19:02 
Editors
Editors

I'm glad to see that I wasn't the only person who hated the TH games post 3. They might have been prettier, but they weren't necessarily better. American Skateland wasn't too bad, but I really hated the whole 'storyline' thing that THUG and later had going. :twisted:

I'm getting really enthusiastic about this game, now. I don't want it on the 360, though...

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2007, 13:32 

There's a countdown for the Demo on the home page. So its hitting Xbox live sometime next week, depending on where you live. About Wed/Thur for me... can't be bothered figuring it out at the moment. :lol:

http://www.ea.com/skate/