Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 26 Jun 2024, 09:24

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2008, 20:05 

I sold my WoW account last night for $625 and received instant payment that cleared, I'm waiting for it to clear into my bank account now.

Around Tue-Wed It should clear, that gives me 3-4 days to decide what next gen console to buy, I'll be heading to Best Buy to spend allot of money.

First of all I am NOT a fanboy of any console, I see the 3 current consoles as all worth owning to a certain extent.This post is about my reasoning as to which system I buy FIRST.. the second system could easily be as far away as a year from now.

I am also NOT planning on buying every game in sight.

Here's a rundown of what I think

360 = A great console with many many great games with the best online service and also includes backwards compatability in ALL versions of it's console. The mainstream FPS's it has gives those games a massive online replayability factor. So it = Gears of War 1/2, Halo 3, Lost Odyssey, and many other games. I've already beaten Halo 3 on a friends 360 so I'm simply buying it for multiplayer.

PS3 = .... basically just... Metal Gear solid 4 and future Final Fantasy games. On a side note I desperately want to complete the MGS series so the PS3 is still sticking in my mind. The only other possible games that would interest me are Heavenly Sword but I wouldn't buy a console for it.
The current PS3's sold @ the mainstream stores are only the 40gb versions that do NOT have PS2 backwards compatability. I haven't forgotten GTA4 which is also on the 360.

Wii = Metriod Prime 3 and Mario Galaxy .. but Mario Galaxy is just a side game to me *to put it in other words I simply don't give a sh*t about Mario Galaxy*. Since i've beaten Zelda: Twilight Princess on the Gamecube i'm not really all gung ho about playing it on the wii, and wii's are practically impossible to find. but to sum it up it's just a mediocre system with a gimmick. Granted that gimmick has it's uses say for things like mario party with wireless controllers and if you're drunk it's loads of laughs while you're acting like you're digging drunk.

I personally am leaning towards a 360, yes I'm aware of the whole RRoD insufficient solder blah blah so called scandal.

Do NOT post here saying "OFMG FANBOY DRAMA". I just want to see what people can say to change my mind, since i've been out of the Console Gaming market since the last wave of systems I don't know what awesomeness could be around the corner

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2008, 21:01 

i was in exactly the same situation as you a few weeks ago. i looked at both consoles and they are pretty much the same. all this fanboy hate seems kinda silly when the two consoles are just as good as each other.

in the end it came down to three things:

1. my two brothers-in-law are getting new phones and part of the package is a next gen system - this is pretty common here in the UK - so we all wanted to get the same system.

2. ps3 had slightly better exclusives than the 360 for me. i got gears for my pc so i didn't miss out on it.

3. i just couldn't spend that amount of money on a 360 as i'd probably just worry about it melting everytime i put a game in. also, by the time i'd have bought the wireless stuff for the 360 it would have been the same price as a ps3, if not more expensive (was looking at the elite).

point one probably swung it. online gaming is better if you know the people you are playing. easier to swap one player games, too.

so now i have my ps3 and i've stuck a bigger HD in it and so far it's been a blast.

oh, i do have a wii also and i think it's pretty fantastic. it has just as many good games for it as the other two.

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2008, 21:14 
Editors
Editors

A lot of the games that I think are 'must plays' on the next-gen consoles aren't exclusive to one or the other, but I will admit to being unhappy with the lack of good RPGs on the next-gen systems - I still find myself firing up my PS2 for the endless J-RPGs I've got on that system.

It's down to friends, and whether you're going to want to play online, really. I don't play online much, if at all, so having the 'best' online features doesn't really add a thumbs up for me...

I've had no trouble with my PS3 (even with the infamous GTA4, where a lot of people on both sides of the Next Gen seemed to have issues...) and as you say, Metal Gear Solid 4, new Final Fantasy games and the greater possibility of more RPGs was the draw for me.

For a time I was tempted to get a 360 to play Mass Effect, Gears of War and whatnot... but knowing me, I'll play 'em for a couple of hours and get bored.

No matter which console you buy, Burnout Paradise is a must buy. It's great fun! :D So's Skate. Devil May Cry 4 was an enormous let down for me... I absolutely detested it. Which give how much of a DMC geek I was with the earlier games... was a real shame.

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2008, 22:03 

This is my opinion (note I have a 360, but am not a fanboy in any regard).

1.) Don't get the Wii. The only good games it has are from the Nintendo franchises, and even those are difficult to play with the control scheme, which seems more novel than practical. Out of all of my friends who own a Wii, I don't know a single one who doesn't use a Gamecube controller instead of a Wiimote for all of his games he can.

2.) The PS3 and the 360 are relatively the same. As far as power, the PS3 pull out way ahead but because it's very difficult for developers to work with a lot of that power is never seen. They both have their own exclusives, but they even out in the end.

Really, it usually comes down to this.

If you want high-definition movies and motion sensing, go with the PS3.

If you want a better online experience, go with the 360.

But I'll leave you with this thought.

Don't buy the console for the features, buy it for the games. If you love Halo and Gears of War, buy the 360. If you love Metal Gear Solid and Ratchet and Clank, buy the PS3. If you would die without Mario and Metroid, buy the Wii.

That's just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2008, 22:16 

Having lots of experience on all consoles available today I have a few things to say about the PS3 controller V.S. the 360 controller.

I think I must point out, the PS3 controllers aren't that great IMHO. The vibrate function is weak compared to the 360. And the two analog triggers are poorly designed if you have to hold down one and use the same hand for one of the joysticks doing tat forces you to loosen the grip on the controller and when you pushing on the trigger it forces the controller out of your hand. Finally when playing with both joysticks and you have slightly bigger than average hands your thumbs can meet when both sticks are pointed inward which makes for an uncomfortable experience "Dude!!! No no. You never make em touch man thats not cool" a cookie to whomever can name that quote!

-Edward

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2008, 23:16 

Having lots of experience on all consoles available today I have a few things to say about the PS3 controller V.S. the 360 controller.

I think I must point out, the PS3 controllers aren't that great IMHO. The vibrate function is weak compared to the 360. And the two analog triggers are poorly designed if you have to hold down one and use the same hand for one of the joysticks doing tat forces you to loosen the grip on the controller and when you pushing on the trigger it forces the controller out of your hand. Finally when playing with both joysticks and you have slightly bigger than average hands your thumbs can meet when both sticks are pointed inward which makes for an uncomfortable experience "Dude!!! No no. You never make em touch man thats not cool" a cookie to whomever can name that quote!

-Edward
The Whitest Kids You Know?

I agree with you about the controllers, but it should be noted that the directional pad on the PS3 is much better.

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2008, 00:06 

it should be noted that the directional pad on the PS3 is much better.

Thats the only thing the PS3 controller has going for it in my opinion. The placement of the left analog stick seals the deal for me, Its just not natural to use both analog sticks at the same time when they are on the same axis.

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2008, 00:34 

I'm fairly certain I'm getting a 360, the controller is much better for FPS and the overall games for it are much better b/c of the amount/types, if I got a PS3 I would be bored after beating MGS4. The Wii doesn't really offer anything to me since I beat Zelda:Twilight Princess on the cube already. and I wouldn't buy the console for any of it's mainstream games either. The 360 even with just Halo 3 for multiplayer is worth owning.

For the past 2 years I haven't paid any attention as to what games have come out on the 360 though, so I'd like 360 owners to tell me what's worth owning. I know the obvious games such as GoW/Lost Planet/Halo 3 ect...

My buy list is

Halo 3
Gears of War 1/2
Lost Planet: the new w/e it's called edition with extras
Fable 2 - when it comes out
Mass Effect
Call of Duty 4
Eternal Sonata
Lost Odyssey
The Sonic game - possibly...

I also want someone who actually OWNS a 360 and Oblivion to tell me how the framerate is.

Now I just can't decide on the Deluxe/20gb hdd version or the Elite

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2008, 00:38 

A lot of 360 games make the PC jump. So you should keep that in mind if your PC is up to par.

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2008, 00:45 

I'm done with pc gaming, it's retardedly expensive and standards are changing too fast, we're long past the days of simply buying a new vid card.

The only time pc gaming is ahead of the industry is when they do something stupidly drastic like releasing 89 video cards in 1 pc, granted... near the last year of each wave/generation of consoles pc gaming is superior, but it comes with a stupid price.

We're now comparing consoles that are almost like PC's as in functionality, it's not like we're comparing a PC to an N64, even one from that time period.

I don't have $3000 to build a new pc every 2 years and as time goes on that price increases, logic states buy a console that's basically just as powerfull for a very small fraction of the price.

A lot of 360 games make the PC jump. So you should keep that in mind if your PC is up to par.

view below

Console gaming has never made more sense to me than it does now.