Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 16 Sep 2024, 08:09

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 9800x2 and TH2GO
PostPosted: 25 Aug 2008, 14:32 

Hi, i have seen in various threads that people are having problems with 9800x2 cards. I'm about to build a new PC and was opting for one of these & a TH setup with Samsung 24" (245B's)

Could anybody throw some light on whether a 9800X2 is compatible with TH2GO and of course if TH2GO will work with my Samsungs?

Thanks in advance

Post subject: reply
PostPosted: 25 Aug 2008, 16:21 

Of course it works. It doesn't matter what monitor sizes you use with the TH2Go. But one thing though, the TH2Go doesn't support triple 1920 x 1200 resolutions yet. It can only support for up to three 1680 x 1050. Triple 24" monitors still work but the resolution will be forced to lower down to 1680 x 1050. I don't think that's a good idea. I've tried that before and the image quality is quite bad when the resolution is lowered(not the native resolution).

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2008, 16:43 

yeah, I'm sure it will work, however my Samsungs are DVI-D and not DVI-I. I have read over on the iRacing forums that the TH2GO is not working correctly with DVI-D. or is his just nonsense?

i have also read some problems with 9800X2 and TH2GO, and wondered if anybody here is having any problems?

Thanks

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2008, 18:36 
Founder
Founder

yeah, I'm sure it will work, however my Samsungs are DVI-D and not DVI-I. I have read over on the iRacing forums that the TH2GO is not working correctly with DVI-D. or is his just nonsense?

i have also read some problems with 9800X2 and TH2GO, and wondered if anybody here is having any problems?

Thanks

Nonsense as far as I know. Here is my review of the 9800GX2, and my WS and TH2Go benchmark suite using the 9800GX2. Also check out my review of the DTH2Go.

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/index.php/NVIDIA_GeForce_9800GX2_Review
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/index.php/Widescreen_and_Surround_Benchmarking_Suite
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/index.php/Matrox_TripleHead2Go_Digital_Edition_%28Featured_Review%29

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2008, 20:02 
Insiders
Insiders

I run 245BW's which are pretty much the same thing. They scale just fine to 1680x1050. I run mine at 5040x1050 on the desktop and have no scaler issues at all as far as quality of picture. You should be fine running the 24's at 22 res on the Samsungs.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2008, 22:33 
Insiders
Insiders

I also run 24" (though Dells) nd the scaling is not an issue for me.
The desktop looks a bit fuzzy and, although I thought that would really annoy me, afer a couple of days I don't notice it. In games it almost makes the game look better giving fuzzy edge to things and reducing jaggedness!

However it is very subjective so try running a single 24 at 1680x1050 and see what you think:)

I would also recommend the newer GTX280 rather than the GX2. Although it is slightly more expensive it is much better in several ways:
1. It is single GPU so you will never encounter SLI type problems (some games work worse with SLI enabled and some give hardly any imrovement). In poor SLI games you would be down to the equiv of a 8800GT
2. The memory bus on the GTX is faster and more importantly for high TH2Go type resolutions much wider..in fact it is twice the size (512 instead of 256). Memory bandwidth makes a difference especially high res and introducing AA/AF.
3. Depsite what I said about SLI (and I run an SLI rig) in the future ou will be able to get another 280 cheap. GX2's are EOL and won't be for sale for that much longer. And SLI is more efficient that quad SLI, bang for buck. Each GPU you add reduces the percentage of gain.

Just IMO of course but, although the GX2 is a great crad, I would def go for the 280.

M1.9P

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2008, 22:38 

Nonsense. As I said in another thread, almost all LCD DVI connections are DVI-D. DVI-I is typical for a DVI output, while DVI-D is typical for a DVI input. There is such a thing as DVI-A input (and output) but it is rare because a VGA cable and connection are usually used instead.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2008, 22:40 
Insiders
Insiders

I'll join in to the nonsnense calls on DVI-D/I...pile of rubbish!

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2008, 18:53 

I also run 24" (though Dells) and the scaling is not an issue for me.
The desktop looks a bit fuzzy and, although I thought that would really annoy me, after a couple of days I don't notice it. In games it almost makes the game look better giving fuzzy edge to things and reducing jaggedness!

However it is very subjective so try running a single 24 at 1680x1050 and see what you think:)

I would also recommend the newer GTX280 rather than the GX2. Although it is slightly more expensive it is much better in several ways:
1. It is single GPU so you will never encounter SLI type problems (some games work worse with SLI enabled and some give hardly any improvement). In poor SLI games you would be down to the equiv of a 8800GT
2. The memory bus on the GTX is faster and more importantly for high TH2Go type resolutions much wider..in fact it is twice the size (512 instead of 256). Memory bandwidth makes a difference especially high res and introducing AA/AF.
3. Despite what I said about SLI (and I run an SLI rig) in the future ou will be able to get another 280 cheap. GX2's are EOL and won't be for sale for that much longer. And SLI is more efficient that quad SLI, bang for buck. Each GPU you add reduces the percentage of gain.

Just IMO of course but, although the GX2 is a great card, I would def go for the 280.

M1.9P

Wow Thanks, really good post. Looks like it will be a GTX280 then, although the GTX280 i actually cheaper than a 9800X2 on Scan.co.uk. I'll take your advice :bowdown

i am still however very concerned about my Samsung 24" (245B) a guy over on the iRacing is trying to get his Samsung 305T monitors to work with TH2GO. he has spoken to Matrox and............well read for yourself.

I spoke to Matrox (where I quickly got to someone very knowledgeable. Amazing in this day and age and a real positive for Matrox. We should all support mfgr's who provide great service!)

I have learned that many of the larger monitors lack "scalier" circuitry which adjusts the signal for different resolutions. The monitor manufacturers assumes the graphics card (or other device) is responsible for scaling. I am not certain why this is true (performance, cost?) but most smaller monitors tend to include this capability. The large monitors only run in native mode unless some other device is scaling down for them.

The problem is that the TH2Go doesn't do scaling on each of the 3 channels but assumes the monitors will scale appropriately. This is unfortunately not true with Samsung 305T monitors. The 305T native mode is 2560x1600, and the TH2Go is asking each monitor to run 1280x1024, but neither the TH2Go nor the 305T has the capability to scale the signal appropriately.

So a word to the wise if you are going to use a TH2Go to be certain your monitors have an on board scaling capability. Matrox is aware of the issue and may be able to provide a solution in the future.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2008, 21:02 
Insiders
Insiders

Mmm I cannot put my finger on it now but I am sure in another thread someone is using those monitors with no probs (they do have scaling and run OK). If I can't find them maybe start another thread asing for anyone with WS TH2Go experience with Samsung 245B to answer if they work or not :)