Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 06 Sep 2024, 19:52

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2009, 23:11 
Insiders
Insiders

EDIT: Thought I better add this:

THIS IS A BETA DRIVER SENT TO ME SO OBVIOUSLY USE AT YOUR OWN RISK> NO COME BACK TO MATROX IF IT GOES PEAR SHAPED!

Matrox sent me a BETA GXM for fixing the out of range error with Vista (and Win7!). If you have an NVidia 200 series card, Vista and are unable to get 5040 going in any other way give this a try:

Note: There has been some success using this GXM with cards other than 200 series, i.e. 8800GTX. Give it a whirl!

http://www.2shared.com/file/4682806/74f78fee/NVIDIA_200series_and_TripleWide.html

or here:

http://www.box.net/shared/9b3cr7c6zp

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2009, 02:31 
Insiders
Insiders

Works for 'E2badg' so give it a try :)

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2009, 09:13 
Founder
Founder

I got it working, but my gaming performance is less than stellar. But, I'm blaming that on Vista. I've had nothing but problems with it (while XP is rock solid). Games don't run half the time (even at 1680x1050). My Vista HDD is still churning minutes after boot. I heard some funny noises, maybe it's a bad drive.

I was finally able to get the HL2 Lost Coast demo to run (at 5040x1050). XP: 183, Vista: ~137. I know Vista needs more resources, but XP only recognized 2GB of my RAM, while Vista sees all 6GB. That should offset much of the overhead.

I really don't understand the draw for Vista. Even if Matrox and NVIDIA get 100% of the issues sorted out, I still think Vista sucks. I'll just stick with XP for the time being, but I'll give the Windows 7 beta a spin. Was going to get a new HDD for that. Will replace the Vista drive as well, to see if that's a problem.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2009, 10:23 
Insiders
Insiders

Win7 is vista+ really, pretty much every driver I installed worked on 7..i.e. there is very little difference if vista drivers work.

However it seems snappier in everything (especially installing stuff) so that is real good for a BETA. I will certainly try it once it has been out for a while and others have discovered the initial bugs!

BTW you get the same out of range error in Win7 and the BETA PD-SE works to fix it :)

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2009, 18:54 

This completely fixed my issues with 4320x900 in Win7. Great fix for me....

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2009, 19:36 
Founder
Founder

I re-ghosted my Vista image onto a new drive. Clicking stopped. Drive dying. Realized I hadn't installed the mobo drivers. Did that. Still only 148.5fps in HL2LC. That's still a big hit. It doesn't run in 64-bit. I think Ep2 does. I did get Win7 loaded on the dying drive, and the beta PD worked there. Gonna load it on the good drive, and see how HL2LC benches.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2009, 21:06 
Editors
Editors

Can't believe they're still sending you files, Mach :shock: which means you're still having issues... I thought I was the last one with no 5040 in Vista, mostly because I never took the time to really look into it...

Thx for the file anyway ;)

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2009, 21:16 
Insiders
Insiders

I have had HEAPs of probs, you can see from my sig that I am back to XP. I keep trying Vista but no joy. I got it working with the old PD-SE but it would always loose the 5040 res after restart- too annoying, I have never managed to get the custom res working ever (they failed though it is working error) and because the NV drivers change so often, like another yesterday for Mirror's Edge (which I have), the effort you have to go through everytime is not worth it. XP just works (and even works for me at 1920x1200 in games now).

The out-of-range error is endemic, everyone has it..unless they are lucky enough to get the custom res to work and stay working after a restart.

EDIT: oh and you are welcome, I hope it works for you..post if it does please :)

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2009, 22:51 

I have had HEAPs of probs, you can see from my sig that I am back to XP. I keep trying Vista but no joy. I got it working with the old PD-SE but it would always loose the 5040 res after restart- too annoying, I have never managed to get the custom res working ever (they failed though it is working error) and because the NV drivers change so often, like another yesterday for Mirror's Edge (which I have), the effort you have to go through everytime is not worth it.

I had success on Vista 64 by rolling back to 178.13, setting up my resolutions, and then putting in the drivers I want. All the drivers after 178 caused that "custom resolution test failed" on success, but this one did not. Going forward, it seems to keep the resolutions on every update so far.

Of course, I'm not using a GTX 200 series, but I will be getting a GTX 295 soon, so I will post should I have problems. If you ever feel like trying again, that might help...

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2009, 22:59 
Founder
Founder

I got Win7 loaded. Seems to install and load even faster than Vista (and loading fast is it's best feature). I got it to run 5040x1050, but it resets on reboot. Changing res in Display Preferences or NVIDIA Control Panel doesn't work. It doesn't change anything. I have to change in the GXM.

HL2 Lost Coast benchmark locked on me in both 32-bit and 64-bit modes. Gonna try WIC in Vista now. See if it has the same performance hit as HL2LC.