Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 06 Jul 2024, 08:29

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Response from EB
PostPosted: 25 Feb 2009, 02:08 

Posted below is my dialogue with EB. Not sure if it really changes anything though. If a newer version of the widescreen fixer stumbles over any PB tripwires, I strongly suspect said widescreen fixer user is still going to catch a bouncing betty. Hopefully though EB will be a bit more lenient if that happens.

Dope, I am still going after Treyarch and IW. Once I get a response from them, I will drop a line.

I'm interested though; we got anybody around here that has been PB banned for using the fixer? If so, did you get reinstated?

DIALOGUE TRANSCRIPT:

MY INITIAL:
Gents/Ladies,

I am looking to upgrade my hardware soon, and was thinking of going with three screens and a Matrox Triple Head to Go which is capable of 5040x1050 (3x22in @ 1680x1050). My clan is an ardent supporter of the CoD series (10-78 clan), and even though surround support is not organic to the game, there is a kludge available by a guy who goes by the name of 'dopefish' over at the Widescreen Gaming site. IIRC, you have actually certified one of the versions of his "widescreen fixer" for Cod4, so he may be somewhat known to you.

My question is, would using his kludge get me banned? It is not a wall hack or aimbot, it simply helps the game scale and widens the FOV to stretch over the available screen real estate. And just FWIW, I am a nearly 40 year old former Marine who games for fun. I am getting the three screens for work, and figured that gaming on them would be a lot of fun, especially flight sims or auto racing.

What can you tell me?

Thanks very much for your time...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
01/19/2009 19:45:59 - "Adam Dunahoe"

Note #2: What widescreen fixer are you looking at using?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
01/19/2009 21:25:03 - "Chris"

Note #3: Check this site out:

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

And in particular this thread:

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/node/7971#comment-157564

The gentleman with the name "dopefish" has numerous replies in it.

This is his site:

http://imk.cx/pc/widescreenfixer/

Please take a look around. As you can see, it is legit. This is a very bright young man who has taken it upon himself to come to the rescue of all those with multiple screens, but who live in mortal fear of being PB banned by you all. In the very first paragraph you can see that he has already talked to you (EB) on his own about this. Scroll about halfway down the page to the download section and every single version of his widescreen fixer is there, freeware available for download at any time, and every one of them with the disclaimer, "Use at your own risk".

What am I looking to do here is to not only get you all to look at what he is doing and bless it as safe to use on PB enabled servers, but to formalize a relationship between him, you, the publisher and the devs. This is a legit issue. I grant you that it is a relatively small one, given that the number of multi-monitor gamers out there is probably microscopic, but it is a legit issue nonetheless.

What can you all do to facilitate this process?

Thanks very, very much for your time. Keep up the good fight busting punks ;~) .

semper fi,
Chris
02/24/2009 17:04:45 - "Glenn Courington"
Note #6: I apologize for the delay in response. You should find that as long as you are using the most recent version of this software, you should be fine. There was a version quite some time ago that did trigger a violation (one that we found to be legitimate), but the developer reworked it with some guidance from us and it's been fine since.

I responded with an effusive 'thank you', and then asked again if you (dope) could submit new versions to them for verification. I strongly suspect that this request will go unanswered for some time, but at least they are talking to me....

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2009, 11:16 
Insiders
Insiders

Keep up the good work, seems they may be on our side... sorta!

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2009, 04:54 

This hit today:

02/24/2009 18:22:53 - "Chris"
Note #8: Apologies Glenn, but I just reread your response and it got me to thinking;

Is there any possible way, any way at all, that he could submit new versions to you for testing as he publishes them? I fully realize that this would represent a non-value added activity for you guys & I don't want to flog a dead horse here, but what I am looking for here is some sort of legitimacy. Hypothetically, if I were to start using it, and he came out with a newer version that stepped somewhere it shouldn't, I get an all-expenses paid one-way trip to Banned Land of the Exiles with No Hope of Return. Not the result I am looking for, heh.

Look, I know that you could tell me to "go pound sand, take your chances and stop bugging us", and it wouldn't necessarily be a wrong or rude response. I'm just hoping you won't.

We got some gamers out here that need your help. Any chance you could throw some our way?

I understand if the response is negative. Either way, keep busting punks!

s/f,
smythe
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
02/25/2009 09:05:13 - "Glenn Courington"
Note #9: That's completely up to him. If he is going to release a new version without testing it and it triggers a violation, that's going to have to be between you and him.

I'm sure that's not quite the response you were looking for, but the ball really is in his court. However, the last time there was an issue was well over a year ago, so I think he's doing a pretty good job of testing before he releases to the public.

Thanks for the kudos.

02/25/2009 21:04:33 - "Chris"
Note #10: Roger that Glenn. Understood. Thanks again, really appreciate your time. See you in game...

So, I suppose that leaves the door open at PB Dope. At least, that's the way it reads to me. You can submit your versions at your leisure. It's not exactly a "Thou art now blessed, verily. Go forth and multiply", but it's very, very close.

This work for you?

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2009, 04:56 

Keep up the good work, seems they may be on our side... sorta!

Hey Mach, you using the Dell 2208wfp's? I pulled them off the list here as my monitor of choice and I was wondering how well they work. Was gonna marry them up with an Ergotron LX Triple Lift stand.

Thanks man...

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2009, 05:06 
Insiders
Insiders

Nah mine are 24" Dells, so I don't know about the triple stand. I have set up my own stand made from 3 individual monitor arms.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2009, 05:19 

Don't know if you're in the market, but check this out...

http://www.ergonomicbusinesssolutions.com/product.asp?specific=641

Only reason I am going with the Ergotron vice that one linked (Ergotech) is because the Dell's will actually fit even though the Triple Lift is spec'd to max on 3 monitors at only 21" per monitor. I called Ergotron to confirm.

The linked one will fit 3 24"s...

Food for thought...

EDIT: Nice rig. Sorry I didn't mention in original post. Rude of me. Apologies.

EDIT 2: Jeez, I'm horrible at this, heh. Noticed your sig. I'm going with dual 285s. How well do your 280s push pixels on all that screen real estate? Thanks man...

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2009, 06:12 
Insiders
Insiders

the 280's have no problem in any game at full res and highest settings apart from Crysis and GTA4...they are quite overclocked, so probably faster than stock 285s. SLI 285s will be great!

Quite happy with my knocked together stand, can't really justify spending a load just to look better....

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2009, 15:32 

Outstanding. Was a bit worried about frames, and all the reviews I've read about 295's say that they get seriously vram/memory bottlenecked at the higher resolutions and quality settings.

I hear you on the stand. Goodonya. I would be more prone to use a setup like yours, but I have an executive style desk with no edges to use clamps. I must use a stand.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2009, 03:33 
Insiders
Insiders

the monitor arms I am using had either bolt into desk (which I used into the piece of wood I made) or clip to the edge (which I used with my 3x19" screens). They were cheap as chips as well...

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2009, 05:40 
Insiders
Insiders

1078f3ba,
I'm going to send you a PM.

Thanks, I appreciate all the effort you're putting into this, and I think I might have a semi-explanation for the lack of responses I'm getting.

Widescreen Fixer Twitter - https://twitter.com/widescreenfixer
Personal Twitter - https://twitter.com/davidrudie