Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 03:45

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2009, 07:49 

I do not post here much though I like to lurk around sometimes :)

My old LG L204WT 20" is acting up, taking longer than usual to turn the monitor from off to on, and makes a short low squaling noise when clicking on the on switch, I will see if I still have warranty on it, I think its been around 3 years (is this normal for pretty cheap LCD to do this after several years? and is it indeed going to stop working?)

I just want to be on the safe side and be updated on things, in case the LCD stops working, to know which one to buy straight away.

I currently use the L204WT 20 or 20.1 inch, 1680x1050 resolution and am happy with it. I use it for general usage and internet browsing, but also lots of gaming and movie watching. Not for graphics.

I know the panel is TN which is the cheapest LCD panel, and I can't compare it to a better panel like S-PVA, S-IPS and H-IPS as I never owned one.

The point is I am happy with this LCD's performance, and am looking for something similar in performace, and not too expensive.

I do want though, suggestions for a more expensive LCD and also an LCD with a better panel:
As I understand, TN is the cheapest and lowest quality, S-PVA is for the all around usage and better color quality than TN, and S and H-IPS are the most expensive and best color?

In that case I will want to check some 20" TN and also S-PVA models, its better if you have an experience with them and know they fit for gaming, movies and just all around usage.

I currently own a 8800GTS and will not upgrade my computer for a while, so I am not interested in a higher resolution monitor, and prefer 20" over 22" as I understand images/games will look sharper on the same resolution on 20" than on 22" monitors.

Also usually I only use the native resolution in games, never tried a lower resolution, are there any LCDs that handle this good? Although I am unlikely to lower the resolution in any applications.

I hope im in good hands here, thanks for the help :).

Post subject: rply
PostPosted: 23 Mar 2009, 02:51 

Try this

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10119040&catid=&test_cookie=1#

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2009, 10:46 

I prefer a 20" monitor with a resolution of 1680x1050

I guess the options are LG / Dell / Samsung, but there are just so many models I dont know which one fits my needs. Also it seems LG do not have L204WT model anymore, I guess they replaced it with a different model

Would not like to spend that much on it, but if an S-PVA panel is worth it over a TN panel than I would like some suggestions for S-PVA models as well, and also for TN models.

Also maybe review sites that will help me make a choise.

Thanks

--

Are there options at all for the better than TN panel, PVA or S-PVA for 20" size? or only 24"?

S-IPS is too expensive, S-PVA is mid range but couldn't find any 20" models, MVA I did not check, and I was hoping I could try something better than a TN.

Update: there is a reasonably prices 20" S-IPS panel, the Dell 2007WFP, assuming it is indeed one of the few quality monitors (whether it will come with an S-PVA or S-IPV panel) at a reasonable price, should I check for revision (A04, A05 etc), or I should be fine with any? I know a couple of years ago there was a preference to a certain revision since it included the better S-IPS panel.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2009, 02:37 

Have you heard of the new Dell 22" 2209WA? It's being touted as the best 22" display by many. It has an e-IPS ("detuned" IPS) 8 bit panel, 1680x1050 res, and is priced in the TN panel range. Some have mentioned prices as low as $210.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=320-7825