Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 22 Jul 2024, 22:50

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2009, 11:31 

Hey guys, I've being looking around here and I am really impressed by this forums. Right now I only have a doubt. I own a HP LP3065 you know one of those big 30 inch widescreen monitor, whose resolution as you guys might know is 2560 X 1600. I'm planning on doing a double or triple set up monitor system. The videocards that I am gonna use will be 2 AMD/ATI Radeons 4870X2 in Crossfire. So my question is... Will I be able to accomplish this? Is there a way I can do it? Will it affect greatly my system?
Thanks for your help!!!

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2009, 12:52 

You need SoftTh, so no SLI/CF is supported, nor DX10. ATI cards, also used to have problems with some surround resolutions. Even if it works, softth does better with nvidia cards (cuda support).

What do you want to play?, because you won´t be able to play many games at native res with 3x30".

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2009, 21:30 

Yeah basically if you go down teh TH2Go road your limited to 1440x900x3 resolution. Which should look decent in games, but crap on the desktop.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2009, 00:31 

You need SoftTh, so no SLI/CF is supported, nor DX10. ATI cards, also used to have problems with some surround resolutions. Even if it works, softth does better with nvidia cards (cuda support).

What do you want to play?, because you won´t be able to play many games at native res with 3x30".

All the new games like you have on that thread. Um deadspace, Far Cry 2, etc. So I mean at least I can use it for desktop using SoftTh right? Is there an option in which I can use a different number of monitors for each thing? Like one or 2 for gaming and 3 for desktop. How did you accomplished yours? Can you post some pics of your rig? It seems nice dude.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2009, 00:36 

Yeah basically if you go down teh TH2Go road your limited to 1440x900x3 resolution. Which should look decent in games, but crap on the desktop.

Do I need to buy TH2Go in order to use SoftTh?
How about strategy and sports games?

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2009, 01:00 

No, you don't need a TH2Go to use SoftTH, that's kind of the point.

It works fine in games as long as viewing text isn't a high priority... (try it with SoftTH, set your desktop resolution to 1440x900 on all monitors).

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2009, 01:09 

No. They are two ways for surround gaming. TH2go is hardware based. It works with a lot of games, but all three mons are limited to 5040x1050@57Hz max resolution.

SofTh is a free software based (search for ´softth´ in google). It has advantages over th2go, but also disadvantages. Can use native resolutions over 5040x1050, can have different sized monitors in resolution and is free. But requires a second graphic card (can be a cheaper one), It doesn´t work with SLI/CF (th2go does), and performance is cut by a significant amount.

You should search for the games you are interested before you espend any money for the extra monitors. Sports and strategy games are not the best supported kind of games. Shooters, racing games and sims have way better support usually.

Soft

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2009, 04:28 

No. They are two ways for surround gaming. TH2go is hardware based. It works with a lot of games, but all three mons are limited to 5040x1050@57Hz max resolution.

SofTh is a free software based (search for ´softth´ in google). It has advantages over th2go, but also disadvantages. Can use native resolutions over 5040x1050, can have different sized monitors in resolution and is free. But requires a second graphic card (can be a cheaper one), It doesn´t work with SLI/CF (th2go does), and performance is cut by a significant amount.

You should search for the games you are interested before you espend any money for the extra monitors. Sports and strategy games are not the best supported kind of games. Shooters, racing games and sims have way better support usually.

Soft

Thanx.
By the way I saw your post about Dark Space. Do you think I can accomplish this with my ATI's and do you use any stands for the monitors?Which ones?Got pics? I bet its pretty impressive :). Well so at least I'll be able to use it for normal desktop applications. Does it have like some kinda setting that lets you turn it off to play the games that don't work with one monitor only?Well I'm sure they'll be another solution to the shortcomings that this resolution has now in the near future. Thanks for the help guys, if ya got anything else keep dropping it by.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2009, 19:02 

With th2go you can have the best of both worlds if you pick the right monitors. My mons are conect directly from GPU and from th2go (two outputs for each monitor). For sims and desktop I can use native, and then th2go for shooters/racing/etc.... For ex, Dead Space is playable at 7680x1600 softth (about 40fps), but I prefer 5040x1050 with th2go (57fps). In Black Shark, I get up to 57fps total native, and about 70fps with 1x2560x1600 + 2x1280x800.

By the way I saw your post about Dark Space. Do you think I can accomplish this with my ATI's and do you use any stands for the monitors?Which ones?Got pics? I bet its pretty impressive Smile. Well so at least I'll be able to use it for normal desktop applications. Does it have like some kinda setting that lets you turn it off to play the games that don't work with one monitor only?Well I'm sure they'll be another solution to the shortcomings that this resolution has now in the near future. Thanks for the help guys, if ya got anything else keep dropping it by.

Not sure just now about ATI compatibility. In the past, ati had very poor support for surrround. Now is probably better, but I simply don´t think much about it, also when CUDA can be used in some cases with softth to improve fps.

Another thing is your 30" HP. If I´m right, It has no hardware scaler, so not sure about potential problems you can have with it.

There is not any problems in using only one monitor for any game. If you select a surround resolution, you´ll see all three monitors. If not, only the primary monitor.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2009, 19:09 
Editors
Editors

Not sure just now about ATI compatibility. In the past, ati had very poor support for surrround. Now is probably better, but I simply don´t think much about it, also when CUDA can be used in some cases with softth to improve fps.

ATi's TH support is still inferior to nVidia's - 3x1440x900 is the max on ATi. 3x1680x1050 is max on nVidia. :|