Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 06 Jul 2024, 12:27

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2009, 02:03 

Ok Guys,

I´ve just started, and it´s blowing me away...

...Essentially FF´s CM10 is a rework of all of HL2 textures to HD and a much darker look... not sure how to explain it, just watch the trailer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cny9V8qOVJw&feature=player_embedded

Now, you need a beast to run this, but if you can, i strongly recommend replaying HL2 + it´s episodes with this on, on 3 screens... it´s just... astonishing...

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2009, 02:53 

I wish he released his mod in pieces, as in you can apply what you want and not download the whole thing.

I have this weird regard for textures as part of the game art and design, and certainly character models are part of that, and I don't like changing them. I would like the extended draw distance though, that looks great... sadly, he will not release it on its own and is quite snooty about it.

Oh well.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2009, 03:07 

While i see your point of view, on the other side, wouldn´t the normal char textures look out of place if not bad compared to the huge graphical improvement of the rest?

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2009, 04:44 

Well he does have a Lite version, the thing is you cant really just up the draw distance, there isnt much to see in the normal maps.

I feel somewhat like you do in a way, I don't really like how deep its gotten such as "gameplay changes" from the following quote, or the soundtrack (though that was in the very early cinematic mods) I also dont like how the atmosphere has changed. But contrary to you I absolutely love the new fixed up levels and the textures are the big seller for me. I also really like the HD versions of Valve's models, as beautiful as Fakefactory's custom models are they are not alyx, kliener, barney etc, which is an issue for me.

The LE version, the Light Edition, does not include the HD characters, new soundtracks and gameplay changes or tweaks.

This is why he feels that way StingingVelvet:
I created the Cinematic Mod as a practice excercise while I was learning modelling, texturing and coding. It was never planned as a community-project. I just share my work.

Some may like it. Some may hate it.

I like, but do not love Cinematic mod.

Heres the official site/dl
http://cinematicmod.com/index.php

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2009, 04:53 

I don't blame him for not adapting the mod to different tastes and working it out that way, I just think his attitude about it is pretty snooty, as I said.

Also, the Alyx models and such show he lacks a certain... maturity.

That said, he seems to do great texture work and a lot of people love the mod... I just set the first file to download for the light edition and will see what is what. It will take me days to download from Rapidshare though.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2009, 06:21 
Editors
Editors

I had planned on playing HL2 through again since I recently got 3 screens. Its a great game but this just gives me a lot more reason to play it again. Since it will kinda change up things a bit.

Wonder how it will run 5760x1200 with a single 5870?

It says you need "atleast" 4gb of system ram, and that is what I have. So that is where I am most worried, if you need atleast that much for 1 screen wonder if tripling the resolution will place a higher demand on the memory, or if its the same because all the textures are loaded into memory anyways whether on screen or not.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2009, 07:12 
Insiders
Insiders

Is there a torrent out there with the whole package? The multi link thing just doesn't work for me, to lazy I guess!

As to the models, yeah personal taste but IMO overall an improvement.....

as an aside I wonder when part three will be out?

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2009, 08:37 

as an aside I wonder when part three will be out?

And Black Mesa :3

I'm planning on playing through Black Mesa, HL2 with CM, HL2:Ep1 with CM, HL2:Ep2 (no CM, for achievements), then finally HL2 Ep3 the day that it comes out.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2009, 08:39 
Editors
Editors

You guys said its on raphidshare right?

then this will take the pain away from downloading. I planed to share this when I put together my eyefinity video thread because I am getting a bunch of game clips together and uploading them to raphidshare instead of using youtube because its too much a pain and loss of quality on youtube.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/8376

according to google there is a stand alone down loader program as well, but I have only tested this firefox plugin and it works perfectly. Plug in the url's and leave it on for the day and come back with all your files downloaded.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2009, 12:08 
Editors
Editors

I was quite enthusiastic... then I saw 50 Rapidshare links. :shock: