Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 Oct 2024, 23:55

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2011, 13:53 

Similar to my post on the official Nvidia 3d Vision Surround forums. Will it help anyone, I have no idea. Definitely not a restriction of the OS anyway.

You have to unlock the taskbar and move it to a vertical position. A bit smaller than the regular you get from horizontal taskbar but still working with the correct aspect ratios of the windows. (Image is in Picasa, I am not sure if it would display correctly for you)

I am still setting up stuff so it doesn't bother me when it's far right on the right monitor. Maybe it would work better with PowerDesk? I havent install it yet.

Reason I am posting it here is, while searching for it I didn't see any solutions/ fixes/ workarounds. Might be that I haven't used the correct keywords. And the few posts I came across said it was because of the very large desktop resolutions. This workaround (?) proves otherwise. If you know a better way please reply here.

Thank you.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2011, 14:56 
Editors
Editors

Yeah, I hadn't found a workaround for the loss of Aero window thumbnails with Surround enabled... but it didn't really bother me that much. ;)

Having said that, if I could get the taskbar to be down the side of the middle monitor (sadly impossible) then I'd try the vertical taskbar fix. :)

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2011, 22:32 
Administrators
Administrators

Is this an nvidia only issue, as I do not experience this with my ati5870e6?
Interesting to know however, as I was recently asked by someone whom was thinking that there was an issue with their nvidia card(s) and wanting to get it/them RMA'ed when this was not working correctly.

| Gigabyte X79S-UP5-WiFi Skt2011 | i7 4820k @4.4GHz Watercooled (Ivy Bridge-E) | Corsair Vengence 32GB @2133MHz 11-11-11-27 2T Quad-Channel (8x4GB) | AMD R9-Fury-X 4GB @1140/505MHz + EKWB Watercooled | 256GB Crucial MX200 SSD | 8x 1TB Samsung F3 SATA-II | Corsair 850W TX PSU | 3x Dell S2209W 22"wide TFT's (5760x1080res) | Logitech Z-5400 5.1ch speakers | Win7 Ultimate x64 |

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2011, 18:41 
Editors
Editors

It is indeed an nVidia only issue.

Further, it's a Surround only issue, as it doesn't happen in extended mode.

It's one of the reasons why I find nVidia Surround a bit of a joke - it's really badly supported in terms of fixing bugs like this, and providing new features. It really is treated like a tick-box thing - "Oh hell, AMD have triplescreen gaming! We need that feature! STAT!" and as soon as it's working, "OK, lads, smoke 'em if you've got 'em."

It's been mentioned on the forum before (by me) multiple times. It's easy to lose it when there's lots of threads, though. ;)

If I could get a 100% guarantee that a 6970 (possibly CrossFire) setup would work with bezel correction on my not-all-the-same-monitor setup, I'd swap just out of interest. But I need bezel correction as without it games make me want to puke - even if they're off by a few mm... :(

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2011, 15:29 

It is indeed an nVidia only issue.

Further, it's a Surround only issue, as it doesn't happen in extended mode.

So, that's why there isn't much info about this around... I thought it was a problem on MS side when using surround setups in general, thank you for the clarification. And yes, no problems in extended mode.

The one topic I saw mentioning this was from 2009, and then only a single line among two pages (about GXM, I guess that one got a fix?).

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2011, 21:48 
Editors
Editors

Not sure about the GXM thing.

I'd be interested to know whether the issue also occurs on 3D Surround. I would suspect it does.

[insert more grumbling about nVidia's inability to support their tech]