Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 24 Sep 2024, 10:20

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2012, 21:44 

He there. New member here and I hope to be creating content and contributing soon. However, I am having major issues with fraps. I can be playing NFS hot pursuit over 60FPS @ 6000x1080, everything maxed and the second I push record with fraps, my FPS drops to around 15-20. Even at "half resolution" checked, it still chugs.

My system
Mobo - MSI Z77A-GD65
CPU - i7 3770K @ 4.4 GHZ
RAM - 16 GB DDR3
GPU - GTX 690
HDD - 240GB Kingston Hyper X SSD
HDD2 1TB Caviar black

The caviar black is completely formatted and it's only purpose in life is to record gameplay. Just built the system 2 days ago and am very confused as to why I am having issues. All comments welcome. I would really like to stick with fraps and attempt to fix this before I start downloading other programs. Thanks for reading and for all posts.

Fox

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2012, 22:10 

Try recording to the SSD and see if that fixes it. Otherwise I'd recommend different capture software. Try MSI Afterburner, it's free and captures video perfectly for me (audio was out of sync though but hey, it's free).

Also, nice system. It's pretty much exactly what I'm planning on building - just not sure if it will be noticeably better for the games I play right now.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2012, 22:16 

Try recording to the SSD and see if that fixes it. Otherwise I'd recommend different capture software. Try MSI Afterburner, it's free and captures video perfectly for me (audio was out of sync though but hey, it's free).

I have tried that and results are basically the same. What I really don't understand is I find people with lesser machines that record just fine at high resolutions. Take this guy for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WbMg2bsgos

If a machine like that can handle its own,
(intel core i5 650
2X MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II 2GD5 in SLI
2TB HDD and AGILITY 3 SSD 60GB
8GB RAM DDR3
800 WATT PSU)

this should be fine as well. I've contacted the person through YouTube but no reply so far. Also, thank you for the compliment =)

Fox

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2012, 22:39 
Administrators
Administrators

Yeah that's an interesting problem. I record video at that resolution with a lower spec system, it usually halves my framerate on average.

Is it just that game that it struggles so much with? Or have you tried others?

Post subject: AussieTimmeh wrote:Yeah
PostPosted: 22 Jul 2012, 23:44 

Yeah that's an interesting problem. I record video at that resolution with a lower spec system, it usually halves my framerate on average.

Is it just that game that it struggles so much with? Or have you tried others?

Well, after reading that post, it dawned on me that in fact, no, I haven't tested any other games. Loaded up BF3 and am very happy, and slightly embarrassed, to report that I can record 40fps with more or less maxed out settings. Sorry for the total fail on my part for not researching further. Thanks for the Genius post AussieTimmeh!

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2012, 00:35 
Administrators
Administrators

Heh no problems, at least you can feel better than your system is not the issue, but doesn't help you with recording NFS though.

Vicious started a blog on the different video capturing software available, if you are dead keen on video capturing that particular game, you might try some of them out: http://www.wsgf.org/blog/viciousxusmc/2011/10/11/ultimate-game-capture-software-reviewcomparison-phase-1-preparation

Otherwise, just enjoy FRAPS on other games. Nice system!

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2012, 06:31 
Insiders
Insiders

Try locking fraps to 2 cores and NFS to the other cores.

Post subject: FRAPS is a terrible and
PostPosted: 24 Jul 2012, 16:51 

FRAPS is a terrible and overrated recording software! My biggest issue with it is that it will lock your frame rate to your recording frame rate. So unless you record at 60 FPS (which is a waste unless you want a lot of slowmo shots) it makes the game unplayable. I personally use MSI Afterburner because it will also compress the files, the quality is not top notch there though. An other good alternative is dxtory, it has a lot of functionality. It has a wide range of decompression, so you can choose your preferred quality setting, it also has a neat feature which will rescale your videos. If you for example play at 1920x1080, you can set the resolution to 1280x720 (or whatever you prefer), instead of only having the option of full size or half size. I am unsure if you can play at 5760x1080 and record at 1920x1080, that would be awesome though. But most importantly, none of these lock your frame rate to your recording frame rate, unless you want it to.

But I have one thing that comes to mind here, I do not think you can record and play at decent frame rates with a surround resolution to a HDD. I think your best bet is to record it to an SSD and move it over to your HDD afterwards. From what I remember after doing some tests were that according to dxtory (it can measure your HDD speed) my 7200 RPM HDD could only write at 50MB/s, it's an old HDD and I don't know if they're much faster today. And my Raptor 10000 RPM recorded at 75MB/s and my SSD could record at 280MB/s (This one is new, in their marketing it said 510MB/s, but whatever, I'll check that out later when I get the time). According to dxtory, the formula to calculate MB/s for an uncompressed video was width x height x FPS. So in the case of 5760x1080 @ 30 FPS it would need 178MB/s, and obviously twice that for 60 FPS. So an SSD is needed, otherwise it'll probably be choppy. Formula might be different for FRPAS though, but I doubt it's much different since FRAPS files are enormous, more compression means lower speed requirements though. These are just some things to keep in mind when recording, your PC might be beast, but that doesn't help much if your HDD can not write fast enough, and with FRAPS force locking your FPS, that's a problem.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2012, 18:08 
Editors
Editors

You can also Resize Videos with MSI Afterburner! You just need to edit the config file.

So, bout HDD, i did some tests with my Hitachi 7300K, theoretically it can write up to 300mbs.
Tried 6048x1080 with MJPG 85% compression. Made absolutly no difference in FPS if i recorded to HDD, SSD(crucial M4) or RAMDisk.
It can be an issue, but it doesn't have to be!

Also there is that problem with Video Recording and Multi GPU. Its simple a Problem to load every picture from GPU to HDD inbetween the normale Crossfire balance between two GPU's! So a Single GPU will always have less perfromance drop than Multi GPU's, not much, just slightly. but it does affect it!

btw:
Here Picture, Vertex 2 VS Hitachi HDD

Attached files

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2012, 18:45 
Insiders
Insiders

hey Osiris Fox,

I am the guy that made the video you used as example and iam happy that you solved the problem by someone else iam not gonna reply on the PM you send me on youtube because i see you already solved the problem.

Sh4dowking