Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 16 Jun 2024, 21:57

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2015, 22:26 

Hi everyone, first time poster!

So I want to revisit childhood games like the Hulk which as I found out recently was also released on PC at the time (I had it on PS2). It's quite fun and runs perfectly on win7 but the resolution options only go up to 1280x1024 really a shame... Several searches yeileded 0 results so I set off fixing the game myself (first time trying).
I found no options or configuration files so I downloaded a HEX editor and began replacing some values.

I rapidly succeeded in changing the base resolutions to 1920x1080 then changing the aspect ratio to 16:9 but I'm facing the FoV problem...
Indeed, after changing the aspect ratio the game basically cuts off the top and lower parts of the frame. The image isn't squashed but it's missing what used to be shown vertically instead of extending what was hidden horizontally. This seems logical but not an acceptable fix.

How would I change the FoV in the exe without knowing the original value? I want to change both vFov to retrieve the lost edges and hFov accordingly. I know what to change them to but don't know what they are originally...

I know screenshots would help but I'm on mobile and don't have access to the files. I'll post back once I get home for a full report of my current progress.

In the meantime, anyone have an idea how to determine the original FoV angles (so I can know what HEX values to search for in the exe)?

Many thanks in advance to all!! :-)

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2015, 12:41 

As promised here are some screenshots:

Succesfully set to 1920x1080 (notice the squashed AR):

Switch to 16:9:

So there we have it, it basically cropped the 4:3 down to 4:2.25. Should I try another way to set the Aspect ratio?