Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 01 Oct 2024, 23:25

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: 04 Apr 2010, 01:50 

the information on the 480 is very sketchy, drivers for the surround aren't out and hopefully it comes out very soon since the cards are coming out either the 6th or the 12th of April. Nvidia keeps delaying the cards that's why it might be the 12th before seeing them in shops. Its really like ati is true gaming and precision while Nvidia is just brute force, the surround being software like irbin said could cripple the performance. Either way the ati cards are the way to go at the moment from what I'm seeing but that's just my opinion.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2010, 01:53 

Great review, def. helped me make my mind up about 2x3 vs 5x1. Ibrin, did you by any chance measure the width of your setup in 5x1P? Looking at going 5x1P in the future (perhaps September, as a birthday present to myself), and my desk is only 65", so I was wondering if perhaps I needed to go with a smaller monitor, perhaps some 22's. Also, have you heard anything about whether or not there will be faster, more powerful E6 cards coming in the future? Or should I try to snag a couple of E6's (for crossfire) in the coming months?

There is some variance based on how much you angle in your outer monitors. Putting them all "flat" with no angle is the widest. My 3x2 with 22" that had about 45" degrees on the angle were 51.5" inches across. Interestingly enough the 5x1-P with 22" were the exact same width.

The left-center and right-center monitors were 22.5 degrees off the center, and the outer monitors were 22.5 degrees off of those. The overall angle between the outer and center monitors was still 45 degrees, but with a more "curved" effect. Flattening it out a bit put them at 53 inches across.

Your bigger concern is depth. You need a good couple feet to make sure you're comfortable looking at everything. I will measure depth in a bit. I like the 22" 16:9 panels due to a smaller dot pitch and lighter weight.

You may want to consider an IPS panel, as turning it off-axis can produce some color saturation issues. I don't want to make any definitive judgments until I can address my depth issues (I'm getting a keyboard drawer so I can back up a bit). I did get better viewing when turning my monitors counter-clockwise, versus clockwise.

I haven't heard anything about a more powerful E6 card. But if I had, I probably couldn't tell you anyway. :wink: However the E6 is the last stock offering in ATI's 5000 series. You may get some overclocked/watercooled/custom cards from ATI's partners in the future. We're already starting to see those in other SKUs (4GB 5970, Eyefinity5 5770, silent 5570, etc.).

So are you saying that you didn't like the P2210H? Cause I was starting to get set on those things, seems like for the price, there aren't a whole lot in that range that have display port and are => 1080p... Any other recommendations? :)

Thanks!
-Erik

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2010, 02:50 
Founder
Founder

So are you saying that you didn't like the P2210H? Cause I was starting to get set on those things, seems like for the price, there aren't a whole lot in that range that have display port and are => 1080p... Any other recommendations? :)

The WSGF isn't really isn't in the business of recommending monitors for a variety of reasons, however...
* I have no issues with my P2210H panels. They work fine. I'm using them rotated 90 degrees CCW and they look great.
* The included stands don't rotate CCW, so luckily I have a stand from Erogtech. (The included stand rotates clock-wise.)
* A TN panel is generally considered to be inferior to an IPs panel, though 22" IPS panels seems to be rare.
* I do see "some" difference between the TN and an IPS panels by Dell - at 2.5x to 3x the cost I'd hope to see some difference.
* HP has released the ZR22w which is an 22" IPS panel. I can't find any "formal" review of the panel. You might get one and test it (HP offers a good return policy) before committing to five of them.
* Any issues with the P2210H (or any TN panel) are exaggerated in the Portrait configuration. Issues are also exaggerated by a close viewing distance.
* I need to get a proper ergonomic viewing distance to the TN panels before I recommend IPS as a requirement for portrait.

I hope this helps. I'm not trying to dissuade you or anyone else on a particular panel. No one pays the WSGF (e.g. "me") to pimp their panels, so I have no vested interest in recommending one over the other. My goal is to try and figure out if the different panel technology makes a difference.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2010, 20:15 

There was a leaked early 10.5 cat release today does it have 5x1 eyefinity support? I can't really tell without an eyefinity 6.

Driver version is 8.73 and it has a new CCC.
Download link http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WH2U3WZG

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2010, 21:27 

Great review, thanks for that. :rockout

What I'm still unsure about is the setup of more than one eyefinity group. Can you create, for example, two 3x1 groups at different resolutions?

My example would be one 3x1 group at 3x1920x1200 and another 3x1 group at 3x1280x1024. Is this possible?

I currently have a TH2Go setup with 3 HP LP1965 monitors (think you had them yourself before the U2410's) - when I build my Eyefinity rig I'd like to update to 3 U2410s but also still use my 19" panels. I understand I can't use them in a 3x2 arrangement but was hoping to utilise two Eyefinity groups.

I.e. any chance you could connect your three U2410s and three of the 2210s and test twin groups? Or am I totally wrong here and multiple groups are not supported...?

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2010, 22:13 
Founder
Founder

Multiple groups are supported. I haven't done it with different sized monitors myself, but ATI does reference this on their site. You can see it on the bottom half of this page under "Mixed Modes."

I have had a 3x1 EF grouping for my middle three, and then the outer ones as a 2nd and 3rd group. Some of the literature that ATI gave to reviewers talked about having two different groupings in a 3x2 - the top three, and the bottom three (those were the same resolution though). Those were two 3x1 groups running simultaneously.

You should be able to do one group on one set of monitors (while the 2nd set is disabled), and vice versa. I did have to different groups in my first 10.3 preview driver at different resolutions. One had Bezel Compensation, and one didn't. At one point I also ran my 3x1 setup with two profiles. One was the 3x1 EF group for gaming. The other was a 1920x1200 desktop duplicated across all three. So those were two groups with different resolutions.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2010, 22:17 
Founder
Founder

There was a leaked early 10.5 cat release today does it have 5x1 eyefinity support? I can't really tell without an eyefinity 6.

Driver version is 8.73 and it has a new CCC.
Download link http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WH2U3WZG

Will try this when I get home. At my parents now.

Based on a request from Paradigm Shifter, I put together some charts that show the E6 CFX scaling across the games. Did charts for widescreen, 3x1 EF and 3x2 EF. Also put together some charts on the comparison of 3x1-L to 3x1-P and 3x1 with 16:10 panels and 3x1 with 16:9 panels. Will post those when I get home as well.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2010, 00:21 

[quote]So are you saying that you didn't like the P2210H? Cause I was starting to get set on those things, seems like for the price, there aren't a whole lot in that range that have display port and are => 1080p... Any other recommendations? :)

The WSGF isn't really isn't in the business of recommending monitors for a variety of reasons, however...
* I have no issues with my P2210H panels. They work fine. I'm using them rotated 90 degrees CCW and they look great.

* Any issues with the P2210H (or any TN panel) are exaggerated in the Portrait configuration. Issues are also exaggerated by a close viewing distance.

I have the P2310H (an extra inch), and I'm really happy with them. As Ibrin said, in portrait there's a bit more TN-ness. At about 30 deg off perpendicular, I start to really notice it. ie two foot viewing distance that gives about 1 foot of movement in either direction. Also it's worst when you move towards the down side of landscape versus the up side.

If you're going TN and want a DP connection on the monitor, I have no reasons not to recommend them. If you can find a good x1200 option for portrait, I'd suggest serious consideration as I've started to notice that I'm wishing for a wider window.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2010, 00:59 

Multiple groups are supported. [...] ATI does reference this on their site. You can see it on the bottom half of this page under "Mixed Modes."

Thanks for that. Have seen those diagrams before, my concern was that they don't specifically show a second grouping, only multiple extended desktops over additional single monitors.

But, if as you say, more than one grouping operating at the same time is supported, then I'm happy! :D I'm coming from a flight sim (FSX) requirement - want the main view across the three 2410s and 2d panels across the three 19".

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2010, 01:38 

Simple question

Was 3x1 Portrait mode working with Crossfire and Eyefinity?

I have had mixed results between dx9 and dx10 games with only dx10 games working in 3x1 P mode. Dx9 games simply will never use the other GPU. 3x1 landscape mode = xfire. I a, just looking for anyone to confirm if the issue is universal or simply my setup.

I am using a 5970, but also tried trifire with a 5870.

All background has been done(driver switching, clean installs etc)

Games Tested

Company of Heroes
Borderlands
Source Engine Games (HL2, L4D)

Thanks for any answers :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next