Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 19 Sep 2024, 18:52

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Computer Desk?
PostPosted: 05 Apr 2011, 05:56 

So here's my issue. I currently have 3x Asus VH236H 23s mounted on Ergotron Neoflex arms all attached to a rickety old wood composite desk. The problem is the desk is starting to bow under the roughly 60lbs of LCDs and arms, and I cannot seem to find a decent desk online or locally to replace it. Everything I have found so far seems to be like http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ytjy82, which is geared towards more traditional setups. I can't find a nice spacious desk that will accommodate all my setup comfortably. I'd like to avoid a L-shape desk if possible, and since my case has top mounted I/O ports I'd like to be able to keep the case under the desk and still be able to comfortably reach them. So what kind of setup do you guys use? Any recommendations or advice? Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Computer Desk?
PostPosted: 06 Apr 2011, 15:23 

This is what I'm using:

http://www.hon.com/Products/Desks/Desk-Shell-with-rectangular-top-(1).aspx

Well, if not that exact model, something very close to it. The privacy panel across the back goes floor to desktop, so it provides extra support along the back of the desk. It also sits about two-three inches from the back edge of the desk top, so there is room for a clamp if anyone is using that style of desktop.

It's not cheap, but I've been very happy with it. I know you don't want an L-shape, but if others are looking, you can get a return (http://www.hon.com/Products/Desks/Laminate-Return-Shell.aspx) to make it into an L-shape. That's I've got mine setup. The return has a large metal plate that screws in place under the desktop and return to make it really solid. I'll get some pics of my setup if anyone wants to see it.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2011, 10:02 
Insiders
Insiders

http://www.officemax.com/catalog/sku.jsp?skuId=15112539

That's what I have. It has a lip at the back edge you can use for desk clamp mounts. Keep in mind that it's a bowed edge and won't contact the wall at the edges.

Pictures: http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=194978#p194978

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2011, 12:32 

Awesome. Both are great examples of what I am looking for. I guess now I just have to pick one and pull the trigger. Thanks guys!

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2011, 06:17 

Another suggestion. Wall mount.

It is what I am doing when I get back from Seattle this summer. It will be epic! Though I'm still getting a new corner desk.

"I sense something, a presence I've not felt since......."

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2011, 17:22 

Unfortunately there is a window right behind my desk, and due to the size/shape of the room I can't use any other wall. That's also partly why I can't use a L shaped desk.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2011, 19:09 

Can you rearrange, because I highly suggest a wall mount, just opens up the space on your desk.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2011, 20:17 

If it were possible I would do it. Not only would it free up space but would look a lot better too. The room is a bit narrow, and due to it having two closets and multiple large windows the only place to have the setup is at the end of the room, where there is another window. The other end of the room leads to a bathroom.

I do have a third room that I keep my bass, guitars and amps in. I may convert that to a PC room and just move all the current contents to my second den.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2011, 20:47 

That would be ideal I think. I've moved mine around quite a bit lately as well.

If you have any questions regarding mounting there are a couple articles written by Ibrin about the subject.

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2011, 15:55 

Another things to consider is going away from the triple monitor stand.

I was seriously thinking of going the direction of a triple mount to gain height and also free up desk space. But I found a very cheap solution that works very well. I got a couple of steralite drawers (about $4 each) and a shelf (about $5-10) from a store. Put the drawers down on time of my desk then laid the shelf over them. Then the monitors go on the shelf. It raises it about 6 inches off the desk so the monitors are at eye level.

I also gain two nice drawers above the desk to put junk in (remote for the TV, frequently used CDs/DVDs, coasters for my glass). I can put papers that I need to look at when I'm doing actual work right on the shelf between the monitor stands. When I need desk space, I can just slide the keyboard and trackball under the shelf between the two drawers. I works really, really nicely.

And because I'm using the standard monitor stands, 2/3 of the weight is over the steralite drawers with only one monitor sitting over "open" space. Lot less weight to cause sagging on the shelf.