Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 30 Sep 2024, 04:40

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 08 Jun 2011, 21:42 
Administrators
Administrators

If I remember right the last Red Faction was fixed via a registry fix, search the forums, find out it was done in the last game, and try that, I mean really, if your going to run a multi monitor system you need to at least learn how to find where the resolution is saved :P

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2011, 21:52 
Editors
Editors

If I remember right the last Red Faction was fixed via a registry fix

No, it was fixed via hex editing rfg_display_options.rfgs_pc at C:Users...DocumentsMy GamesRed Faction GuerrillaOptions. :wink:

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2011, 04:54 
Insiders
Insiders

Well all we can see is that it CAN run in eyefinity almost flawless except for the HUD.

But jesus. The FOV NEEDS to be fixed. It's HORRIBLE. I can't imagine how anyone could play this on one single monitor.

The HUD in RF:A @eyefinity isn't that bad if you had seen the one in RF:G. It simply made the game unplayable.

Here is a quick video I did:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG7E9FqV-V4
It's kinda dark in the beginning I think

so im a little confused on why nobody has asked how you got this working. What did you do?

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2011, 12:21 

You can change resolution via registry.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREWow6432NodeVolitionRed Faction: ArmageddonVideo Settings]
"ResolutionWidth"=dword:00001680
"ResolutionHeight"=dword:000004b0
"RefreshRate"=dword:0000003c
"MSAA_Level"=dword:00000002
"Fullscreen"=dword:00000001
"TextureDetailLevel"=dword:00000001
"AnisoLevel"=dword:00000010
"VSync"=dword:00000001
"SceneFullRes"=dword:00000001
"SSAO_Level"=dword:00000002
"ShadowDetail"=dword:00001000
"SpotLightShadows"=dword:00000001
"PointLightShadows"=dword:00000001
"SceneDetail"=dword:00000000
"MotionBlur"=dword:00000000
"PostProcessHigh"=dword:00000001

Above rez is 5760x1200
Movies and HUD are horizontally stretched.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2011, 21:04 

actually...honestly...seriously.... I have launched the game and that was all. :?

Intro video started in 5292x1050 (stretched), menu in 5292x1050. All I had to do is to hope the game would look correctly and it does. (just like RF:G)

The HUD is absolutely no problem to me. I would be nice to have it centered and not so stretched but it's NO killer at all. In RF:G it clearly is.
So sorry for now, I have NO IDEA where the settings are saved, I searched for them.

Make sure you run the game with desktop set to eyefinity res. I can't think of anything else to suggest. Newest drivers of course. -.-

All I can say is that I don't want to miss out eyefinity in this game. It's a whole lot better experience - imo it's meant to be played like that. Stupid developers STILL aren't getting over it.

Game options actually say 640x480.

If your game launches in eyefinity resolution I would recommend to NOT CHANGE ANY graphic settings.

Otherwise you may overwrite the resolution and will never get it back again.

I'm stuck at MSAA 2x only, but it's ok. If I set it to anything higher the game may accept 640x480. That would be a fun-killer.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2011, 22:40 

Darn, curiosity killed the cat as it were. Just like with RF:G, if you initially start the game with a triplewide desktop resolution the game accepts that and runs with it, but changing any settings screws it up and goes back to a normal resolution. So I had it working on 5040x1050, but it was running weirdly (only 50% GPU usage, but wouldn't pass 30FPS) and as soon as I changed any settings it reverted to a single screen resolution.

Now, in RF:G it was easy to fix because the config file could be deleted from My Games and the game would create a new one when started, back on your desktop's resolution. The issue here, seems to be (ironically) that this game was designed better for PC. It is Steam Cloud enabled, so config files are backed up on there, so if you delete them, the Cloud version is called upon and its settings restored. And turning Cloud functionality for the game does not help, at least not after the fact. So as of now, I do not know how to reset the settings and get that triplewide resolution back.

RED-FROG, if you could upload your "player_options.rfao_pc" file, or even just post up its contents, I would greatly appreciate it. That config file is located in "Steamuserdata[some number]55110remote", which is where the game seems to save all of its data.

EDIT: After experimenting a bit I'm no longer convinced that it is directly Steam Cloud's fault, but I do believe that since it saves the configuration data differently as a result of added Cloud support, it is indirectly to blame.

Post subject: how to increase the FOV?
PostPosted: 11 Jun 2011, 08:38 

I'm wondering how to increase the FOV?

The fov is too narrow for me and makes me feel dizziness。

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2011, 17:31 

The resolution is stored in the windows registry.

Just open regedit (win+r type in regedit hit enter) and search (strg+f) for red faction.
Or navigate to this location:

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareClassesVirtualStoreMACHINESOFTWAREWow6432NodeVolitionRed Faction: ArmageddonVideo Settings

The following keys are of interest:
ResolutionWidth and ResolutionHeight.
Data is stored as a HEX but if you double click the key you can also enter the resolution as a decimal by checking the appropriate radio button. It will then be automatically calculated as a hex.

greets
RGB

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2011, 16:21 

Thanks so much for the info RGB! And all of the graphics settings are in there, not just resolution, so custom settings of all the video settings is possible in this game. So the info in the Steam Cloud directory was just how these settings were uploaded and not how the game read it, at least I understand that system better now.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2011, 18:03 

So I had it working on 5040x1050, but it was running weirdly (only 50% GPU usage, but wouldn't pass 30FPS) and as soon as I changed any settings it reverted to a single screen resolution.

It's normal that some console games aren't using full GPU capacity.
As long as it's running smooth as silk, and it does that at 30-40, it should be alright.

A GPU that is running 99/100% @ 30fps is a whole other thing than 50% @ 30fps because it's only being limited but gives smoother/simultaneously timed frames.
Also generates less heat/noise/power consumption.

It's pretty dumb that I cannot find the resolution settings anywhere. What have they done again...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next