Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 01 Oct 2024, 18:38

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 20  Next
PostPosted: 18 Feb 2006, 12:09 
Editors
Editors

Download ATI tray tool. Right click on the icon in tray and choose Display ->settings. Enter display 1 ->options and try to toggle scaling from there. As far as I know from all types of ATI drivers, there are still no option to scale to aspect. You can choose either scaling to fullscreen on or off. :(

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2006, 12:43 
Editors
Editors

Using powerstrip is really easy, read this tutorial:

Tutorial: Powerstrip - Controlled Variable Stretch Technique

It doesn't really describe what you need, but you'll see what you have to do.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2006, 21:03 

Just thought I'd add my findings.

I submitted a ticket to ATI asking about scaling while maintaining a 4:3 aspect ratio and here's the response:

"I'm sorry but this is a feature that is not support by our drivers.
You can provide feedback so that we can encorporate that feature into our drivers."

So I went ahead and left feedback. If any ATI users want to leave feedback you can here.

I went ahead and left feedback with them, and pointed them to this site and specifically this thread.

I know some folks here prefer nVidia over ATI but I've really like the ATI card simply because their DirectX support is better, especially if you are running older DirectX titles. For example, older Unreal-engine games seem to run better on an ATI card, at least in my experience.

ATI cards do have one mode (Use centered timings) that allows you to black box a game but you have to be using DVI and only certain resolutions work. In fact, the only resolution so far that seems to work and maintain a 4:3 aspect is 1280x960. So running Warcraft III works in that resolution and maintains the aspect ratio but it doesn't actually scale to fit vertically, it actually has a black box on the sides and the top and bottom. With my screen (1680x1050) its not so bad because the black on top and bottom is <100 pixels. If I run any other rez tho (800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024) it seems to ignore the center timings setting and stretches to full screen.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2006, 19:16 

The 1:1 option with an nvidia card is not dependant on your monitor as far as I've seen. ATI CCC only supports video scaling on their high-end cards.

I had this exact problem. I too have a FPD2185; it supports all types of video scaling but I doubt your ATI card has the option. Nvidia cards offer fixed aspect ratio scaling and centered output; both being great for different games. And as a bonus they allow custom resolutions and timeings. My My brand-new Gforce 6600 supports it perfectly on the 2185.

So, in short; no, the 1:1 option does not depend on your monitor; the video adjust menu is only designed for non-computer inputs only; I, forthe life of me, could not find a hack for the 1:1 option; and 1:1 or centered output works great on the Gateway 2185.

--Streeter

Hi,

I'm a total stupid noobie here :oops: , but I've been reading the forums here for like 45 minutes and I'm getting frustrated, so I wanted to post and just ask:

I have the same monitor, the Gateway FPD2185W, and an nVidia Gforce 6800GT (the Asus V99999999999GT to be exact), and I can't find these scaling options... anywhere!

You said at the end of your post that the video adjust is only for non computer inputs. Is that the same as getting the 4:3 image centered?
I was reading this page (before I found this form), and the guy writing the artcle shows some options from an nVidia card, but he never says where they are in the article. :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
David

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2006, 05:53 

First of all, Cheshire's problem:
Im not actually sure if Powerstrip can give you scaling options but the Omega Drivers might give you scaling options, by way of my previous instructions.

Now for EyeLikeP00's problem. When I spoke about the video adjust being only for non computer inputs I was talking about the monitors built in fuctions. To access the Video Scaling options on your card you:
Right Click on the desktop>Properties>Settings>Advanced>Then the tab that says soething like "GeForce 6800">(Somewhere you should find advanced options for your montior, takeing you to the page in the article). Ill Post again tommorow with the details because I'm on my laptop which has an ATI card. Sorry for the vauge info.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2006, 13:56 

Hi Streeter,

I figured out why I couldn't get those options.. I was still using the vga cable that came with the monitor. After a quick trip to best buy I got that sorted out, and now it works great... I can play NHL 06 again! :D

Thanks

Post subject: Aspect Scaling on VGA
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2006, 13:41 

Hi All,

just been thinking about getting my first TFT, was going for a standard one then came across this one:

http://www.savastore.com/productinfo/product.aspx?catalog_name=Savastore&product_id=10285044&pid=4&rstrat=1000

Now, seeing as i am a gamer I thought i should visit here as i had been told about it. Currently, I am running a galaxy Geforce 6600GT until i can afford to upgrade, so this thread is of high importance, as i will most probably have to use 4:3 resolutions scaled up to play at decent frame rates.

After reading this thread (phew!!) it seems that there IS the option to have a 4:3 aspect whilst scaling up - I am on Nvidia remember - but the last post worries me - As the monitor i want to buy above only has a VGA connection, does it mean that I WONT be able to get access to the options needed?? Or is that just for Ati

If so, then I'm going to have to save for a better TFT.
It really would help if someone could clear it up - really looking forward to making the jump to WS gaming!!!!

Cheers

JP

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2006, 14:20 

Hi Jonathan,

In my (brief) experience with this stuff so far, it looks to me like yes, you do need a DVI cable to get the ratio scaling options with the nVidia drivers, as the panel they're under in the nView Desktop Manager is called "Digital Display Manager" or something like that, and I didn't see that section at all when I was using the VGA cable.

I'd recommend looking for a monitor that has a DVI connection. On top of those scaling options, I found it looked brigther and clearer as well.

Hope that helps.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2006, 15:25 

Thanks for the answer - One thing - does the DVI connection have to be "pure" (Cant think of how to explain it) because I only actually have DVI outputs on my GPU and have to use a convertor to connect the DSUB on by CRT.

Will that still enable me to use those options? Or do you think that you have to have a real DVI to DVI connection?

Hmmm...At this price point, I'm wondering if i could just use powerstrip or something to achieve the same thing. Decisions decisions.... I thought about trying to get the Fujitsu-Siemens W19-1 as its the same panel but with DVI but i can find it anywhere in the UK!!!

So basically, i would like to know if I CANT use a driver setting to achieve the scaling, would i still be able to achieve it through powerstrip? Surely that cant be DVI only?

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2006, 16:20 

From what I've found... the best way to game with black bars is to use your monitors scaling settings and set it to aspect. What's great about this is games that support widescreen will load up widescreen and games that don't will load up with black bars and not be all stretched to hell.

I tried the powerstrip appoach and it got me no where. Maybe I missed something along the way but I just couldn't get it to work.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 20  Next