Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 30 Sep 2024, 04:26

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: 04 Sep 2006, 20:16 

Testing

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2006, 10:32 

It's here ! Cue Space Oddessey 2000 theme!! Cue Omen theme tune!! Da Da Da DA! Hide the women and children, the Dell 3007wfp has arrived!

Just kidding. I am excited but I am a little jaded by Pc monitors at the moment. I have had to return quite a few rubbish ones latley, and I thoght they were cool aswell. I hope this does the business, as if this doesn't work out I don't know what will.

Anyway wish me good luck. I am going to go open the box and set it up. I am going to do a fresh install of windows and all my games , as I want maximum performance.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2006, 14:29 

Congratz TonyM16 and remember to post your initial feelings :D

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2006, 17:53 

Congratz TonyM16 and remember to post your initial feelings :D

Initial feelings: It's absolutley huge! Even bigger the I expected. It's very loght for it's size. Very happy at the moment. Can't see any flaws yet and I ma very picky about monitors.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2006, 02:48 

Alright, I've tested a few on my 30'. Any game on the Source engine is perfect. Call Of Duty 2 is perfect. So is Unreal Tournament 2004. Oblivion is Perfect. Was not able to test FEAR Combat as it does not support widescreen without the tweak that I have not done yet. I have not tested it, but I am pretty sure that Trackmania: Nations will be fine too, as it works on my 20.1' at 1680x1050 fine with no hud streaching.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2006, 12:56 

I am going to test Vampire Bloodlines today. I think I am going to have to edit the enginde dl myself though as the Res. patcher only goes up to 1920x1200. Does anyone know how to edit using a Hex editor?

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2006, 11:27 

Had some major problems yesterday while testing:

First of all I found some slight light bleed in the bottom left corner of my monitor. Thankfully it's not visible in games and can only be seen in a dark screen when I look from a certain angle and 3 feet back. Other than that the monitor is very good. Another thing I noticed is that game really ha to be perfect to look good on this monitor, as it's increased size really helps point out flaws.

It almost feels like I am beta testing as a lot of the games I tested yesterday failed to run at 2560x1600 without causing serious problems.

Deus Ex: Curiously could only go up to 1280x800 in game. so I edited the Deus Ex file to 2560x1600. Now when the game started it opened in a small window. I gave up very soon afterwards. I will try again soon.

the Godfather: Also only goes up to 1600x1200 in game. This is terrible for a modern game. I changed the config to 2560x1600 but found that the game ends up with a border on the top and left side, so I found that 2048x1536 to be the better choice.

Tomb Raider Legends: Can choose 2560x1600 in game. Works perfectly. The wide-screen option helps increase fov. Only problem is the game at this resolution gave me visual anomalies when I use crossfire. Without crossfire it's fine, but it now means I can't use AA or AF.

Oblivion: Perfect. Crashes do seem a little more frequently now as the PC is being pushed very hard and so memory leaks, and access violations are more common.

Hitman Blood money: Unfortunately it no longer is working as i used a cracked copy. I will look in to this and make it work again.

Fable The lost chapters: Amazingly I can choose 2560x1600 ingame. It has many choices of resolutions here. Even all the obscure ones. Game also looks very nice at this resolution. Can still use 6xAA , 8xAR and soft shadows so there is no huge performance drop either.

One thing I was pleasantly surprised of was how well my PC continued to run. I was expecting major slow downs. For eg in Oblivion I was able to play with HDR and 2xAA and 4xAF. I also had grass at 60%, max view distance, low shadow filtering, canopy shadows on and shadows at 35%.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2006, 11:45 

First of all I found some slight light bleed in the bottom left corner of my monitor. Thankfully it's not visible in games and can only be seen in a dark screen when I look from a certain angle and 3 feet back.

Really? Does it look anything like this?

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2006, 12:21 

[quote]
First of all I found some slight light bleed in the bottom left corner of my monitor. Thankfully it's not visible in games and can only be seen in a dark screen when I look from a certain angle and 3 feet back.

Really? Does it look anything like this?

Very similar to what I got but of course I can't be %100 sure. Is yous visible when you are sitting down in front of it? I see min when I go back so that the whole screen is in my fov, but only on a blank screen or borer. If the game just uses black color thankfully it's not visible, but if the game uses no color than it cab be seen from a certain angle.

Do you consider this a deal breaker? Or is this a normal thing for this screen. I know for a fact that the Apple and HP screens all suffer from severe light bled, even worse than this. Do you think I should be thankful that the light bleed is slight or should I be demanding a perfect screen? I have a feeling that this is normal and that all ips panel weather old or new will have some light bleed.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2006, 17:16 

It's visible from all angles but only in dark conditions and with a dark image on the monitor. Like, for instance, if I were to play Doom 3 with minimal lighting in my room then the bottom left corner would be clearly brighter than the rest of the panel. Of course with a completely black image such as in the pic I linked, the bleed is most severe.

One thing I'm sure of: I would take the monitor back IF I had the chance (it is substantially more than 2 weeks old so I can't take it back). I am pretty sure that Dell won't consider this flaw reason enough for replacement under the ordinary warranty. You see, when I pay $2700 for a PC monitor then yes I do want to to be PERFECT. This just isn't, with the backlight bleeding and all.

I have been thinking about contacting Dell about it but frankly the bleed is so rarely visible I always forget about it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next