Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Oct 2024, 19:21

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Can you pillarbox?
PostPosted: 19 Aug 2007, 00:38 

I need to verify this. Do I need DVI to use pillarboxing, or can I do it
with VGA?

Stevedroid said "Yes", but then started talking about something completely different.

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2007, 03:21 

I need to verify this. Do I need DVI to use pillarboxing, or can I do it
with VGA?

Stevedroid said "Yes", but then started talking about something completely different.

Only DVI, unless you have a monitor that has built in aspect scaling functionality (usually only with larger and more expensive displays).

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2007, 04:46 

Thank you. Thats disappointing, I was hoping I could squeeze just a little more life out of this GeForce 3, before I built a whole new computer. I don't really feel like putting any more money into this old system... maybe I'll have to try and find a cheap video card with DVI.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2007, 21:02 

Haha ok, so I bought a video card with DVI for my monitor, so that I could use pillarboxing. I still cannot get pillarboxing to work.

Video Card - Geforce 6200
Monitor - Samsung 906BW

And I'm trying to run Warcraft 3 with pillarboxing and it still stretches the screen. What's going on here?

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2007, 22:42 

Crap drivers.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2007, 23:29 

Crap drivers? I believe it. DVI didn't even work with Nvidia's drivers on the website, so I downloaded thier beta drivers and DVI works, but I still can't get pillarboxing to.

I'm using Forceware 163.44 beta.

Does anyone know of any versions that will work for my situation? Again I have a geforce 6200 and a Samsung 906BW 19" widescreen.

Thanks, I hope so because thats why I got the new video card in the first place!

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2007, 00:16 

Try Forceware 96 and lower till you get the one that works. One of them I think it works. Plus, you don't have anything to lose. Just make sure you clean install them. (unistall the current ones, reboot, then install the "new" ones).

Or, instal version 94 something that should work. Then go to the nvidia control panel. If the nvidia correct aspect thingy is grayed out, then go to Manage Custom Resolutions and UNtick where it is Treat as HDTV.
If it works, you can slowly upgrade your drivers till you find the newest that work (doubt you will go more than 96.)

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2007, 00:35 
Insiders
Insiders

No,

Then you are incorrect to say that HDTVs are "the way to go" for widescreen on the grounds of flexibility.

why would I want to?

For that wider-than-widescreen cinematic feel.

I know there are some dedicated PC monitors with great built in aspect handling and scaling, but most do not have that

The capabilities of the monitor have nothing to do with it. It's all in the video card. *Any* 24" monitor can display a letterboxed 1920x692 resolution, as long as it has DVI and your video card is decent.

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2007, 00:42 

My scaling options didn't work properly till I used the NvidiaOverscanUtils found at http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1684.

I apologize for not crediting the original post, I lost the thread.

Before of the four scaling options only nvidia scaling with messed aspect and monitor scaling worked, after enabling that fix, pillar box / nvidia scaling with keeping aspect works fine.

edit- this is with forceware 162.18

Post subject: Given up.
PostPosted: 03 Sep 2007, 17:46 

Well, I've tried a lot of different drivers, options, settings, etc.... And pillarboxing still doesn't work properly. I give up.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next