Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 01 Oct 2024, 08:21

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: iRacing
PostPosted: 25 Aug 2009, 07:31 

I thought there would be a thread for this, but I coudn't find it...

So this game got the best TH2G support I've seen yet.

The latest update gave us basically all we've been waiting for, except true TrackIR support. I have suggested this, and they are considering it.

From the release notes:

3-View Mode (TH2Go related)

If you are using a TH2G type setup you may now configure the simulation to render separate views to each monitor with bezel management built into views. The settings are available on the graphics options screen. You need to specify three monitors, enter the dimensions of your monitors, the angle between them, and check “render view per monitor”. This does affect FPS but not as much as you might think it would. If you also enter the distance of your eyes from the center monitor the system will compute the FOV such that the monitors are windows into the virtual world and everything will be at the correct sizes and positions.

Change max cockpit FOV from 165 to 179 degrees when 3-view mode is enabled

Changed the loading screen to use only the center 1/3rd of the screen with very wide aspect ratios

A screenshot from the relevant settings:

P.S.
The true TrackIR support I'm talking about is discussed in the members-only iRacing forum.

My plan is to have the real FOV of course, and use TrackIR to tracm my motions 1:1 so the monitors will be true windows into the 3d world.

What I need to know is where the modelled viewpoint is in the iRacing cars. so that I can have a reference point for resetting the TrackIR. I'm fairly short (173cm) so I tent to sit a bit closer to the wheel than many so if I reset the TrackIR to my natural position the viewpoint will be too far back in the car. I will need to move my head to the modelled viewpoint, reset, and then move to my natural position. iRacing will then move the viewpoint forward so everything match up.

Or am I wrong?

Unfortunately the TrackIR isn't really hooked up to the three view model the way you are thinking. The head positioning in the sim can only translate a few cm (so that will limit you) and the projections computed for each monitor are always based on the fixed eyeDist and monitor geometry -- it doesn't change.

We are considering adding a TrackIR mode like you discuss, where the yaw/pitch/roll would be disabled and the projections for each monitor would be based on your head position (so if you move closer the FOV will increase, etc) but that is not in there currently.

Post subject: iRacing
PostPosted: 25 Aug 2009, 08:54 

yeah, its a little hardware intensive using this but its really great. really takes it to the next level. can't wait to see what else they implement, hopefully they fix some of the camera's for us, that'd be sweet