Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 Oct 2024, 04:18

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: rply
PostPosted: 14 Dec 2008, 05:10 

Triple wide like triple 22" monitors is nice for gaming but may be stressful to your eyes when doing regular desktop tasks. Maybe you'll get used to it though. I've tried it before and it's just too much for my eyes. lol!

Maybe one advantage of triple wide is that if a game doesn't support TH2Go then you can still play on 1 widescreen monitor compared to just 1 standard monitor.

I have to agree with you monitors being triple wides is kinda too much for the eyes.

I find myself MUCH more productive with my 3x 4:3 20" screen than my current
3x 24" at 16:10

Post subject: Re: rply
PostPosted: 14 Dec 2008, 05:49 

... monitors being triple wides is kinda too much for the eyes.

I find myself MUCH more productive with my 3x 4:3 20" screen than my current
3x 24" at 16:10

Maybe 3 x 16:10 @ 20" each is the ideal compromise.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2008, 06:40 

An separate issue has arisen out of this thread. When setting up DTH2G with your two graphics cards, where should the digital connections go versus the analog connections go?

I explain what I mean by that in DTH2G and Direct-to-Card setup. Digital V Analog connections

I'm posting here in case some of you are watching this thread and maybe interested in this issue. Especially, geniv2, JKeefe, and Tyinsar, since I quote you.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2008, 07:13 
Insiders
Insiders

Um John Bentley why do you need to bypass TH to use your three monitors independently? PowerDesk SE allows you to maximise windows in each display, e.g. I normally run email (LH), web browsing (centre) and miscellaneous(RH) when I am mucking about on my pc. With PD-SE it is the same as having 3 independent monitors for all intents and purposes, well to me anyway!

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2008, 07:21 

Um John Bentley why do you need to bypass TH to use your three monitors independently?

I'll quote you and respond in DTH2G and Direct-to-Card setup. Digital V Analog connections

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2008, 06:11 

[quote]One chunk of software I found indispensable with my TH2G is GridMove.

I recently had a look at a few 22" monitors at 1680 x 1050. Opening up a browser to fill the whole screen was often too wide. Many web designers don't code for a liquid layout. Even when they do the text feels too stretched out. Opening another app to halve the screen meant that the browser was too narrow.

Gridmove will allow me to define a centre or side grid of any size I like. That makes me far less nervous about going widescreen (let alone triple widescreen). Gridmove looks like an essential piece of software.

Tyinsar, this really is a valuable piece of advice. Thanks.Glad to help :cheers

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2009, 06:27 

I having been meaning to post for a while. I got my rig (see my signature) about 6 months ago.

Now that I have my 3 X 22" monitors I am very glad I did not go for 3 X 20". I was worried that 3 X 22" would be too wide, requiring too much head turning. This turned out to be nothing to worry about, under my current setup. I enjoy using every part of the three screens. Mind you my (alas costly) independent monitor arms allow me to position the monitors at exactly my preferred angle (and height, and depth) and I consider these arms an important part of the solution. The angle between the center monitor and side monitors is about 145°. That might be too sharp for a lift stand with a single supporting cross beam like the Ergotron LX Triple Lift (?).

As planned I operate two modes:
* Independent monitors, for use when working. I use Ultramon's smart taskbar feature to know which minimized windows belong to which monitor. I have the main task bar (with the start button, resident program icons, date/time, etc) on the central monitor; and
* Triple Head mode, for gaming.

I can switch between the two modes in about 30 seconds, without rebooting, using a combination of Matrox Powerdesk, two DVI switch boxes, and manually changing some settings in Nvidia Desktop Manager and Nvidia Control panel.

When working I also use Gridmove, as suggested by Tyinsar. I have to concur. Gridmove is absolutely essential to an efficient use of three screens. It can do more than NVida Gridlines, or Matrox Powerdesk. I have created my own custom grids which I hope to share soon.

For those that are permanently in Triple Head mode, and work in addition to game in this mode, Gridmove is as valuable to those that work in Independent mode.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2009, 02:50 
Insiders
Insiders

I use 3 widescreen 19"rs, The last square monitor (yes i said square) i used was during the age of the crt. I kinda eased my way into the lcd era when 19" widescreens were $200 - $250. Then later I bought two more of the same type, 1 for 80 and the other for 100. So Point is, I like Triplewide, and I'm really mad when I have to play a game that's only 4:3 (I'm looking at you sega). So yeah, Go with Triplewide. I do have to move my head a bit, but i only put things i'm not really monitoring or working on the left and right monitors and keep things important in the center. It's rather useful to have the bigger workspace.