Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 Oct 2024, 07:29

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2009, 06:30 

I debated on this aswell and I ended up going with 3 single arm mounts. The cost was much cheaper then a single 3 LCD mount. You can still buy them but at the time I did their stock was pretty limited.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=MA2790-PB&cat=MON

Mounting them had a few tricks to get by. I didnt have to attach them to a wall but the back of my desk's hutch.

They are off in the pic but I was able to line them up better. You can raise the hight. I also took a single 3'x8" board and drew out the areas to attach the mounts. Pre drilled the holes in the mounting board and used it as a guide to put the same holes in the hutch.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2009, 08:18 

Thanks Mumm. Your setup looks sweet. Those 20 inchers look wide yet not too wide.

I was able to line them up better

Do you mean you tried a triple arm, like the Ergotron LX Triple/Dual Display Lift Stand?

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2009, 20:42 

The center LCD was the same model as the others but slightly older. It may have been the reason it was a touch lower then the other 2. I raised it a bit to make the tops all flush.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2009, 05:57 

bentley, concerning the issue of whether or not the LX triple Mount Stand can handle 3x22 in screens...

I called Ergotron to ascertain exactly this. Response was that it all had to do with the depth of the monitor you intend to use. Do not recall the exact ratios that we discussed, and my monitor choice has changed since I made that call so I will have to ring them again, but the gist is that the Ergotron tech had an extensive list in front of her that she leafed through to try to find my monitor choice. She was looking for the dimensional specs so she could then tell me for sure whether or not they would fit. I am sure that if you give them a call, they'd be more than helpful

Of course, that means getting up at 0300 Oz time to call them. Perhaps you could just stay up late with a few good movies :wink: .

All kidding aside, this issue is a potential showstopper. Nothing would be worse than to be terribly excited to receive all your hardware, go about getting nearly all of it set up, start installing that last monitor only to realize that they are too deep and won't mount :shock: :x :evil:

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2009, 06:41 

the issue of whether or not the LX triple Mount Stand can handle 3x22 in screens...

Yes, thanks for raising this issue. The response you got from the Ergotron tech is as I understand it. You have to check the width and *depth* of your candidate (or actual) 22" against the maximum specs of the LX triple Mount stand.

Fortunately you can just check this online.

From the Ergotron LX Triple/Dual Display Lift Stand Dimensional illustrations (PDF) one can see, for example,
you can have a maximum width of 20.25" (514.3 mm) for a maximum depth of 2" (50.8 mm). Less wide monitors can be more deep.

For my favoured 22" monitor, Viewsonic VX2262wm, I thought I had checked this. I had not. The viewsonic site is silent on the "without base" dimensions.

Svr, a forum user with this monitor model, might help us here in Upgrade vx2262wm.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2009, 19:58 

Exactly. I don't know about you, but during my shopping, ALL the potential monitors I looked at were sans a base-less depth dimension. That's what made the call to Ergotron so eye opening. Apparently they have the base-less depth measurement for a plethora of 19-22 inch monitors available on the market today.

Good luck :)

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2009, 14:30 

I've emailed Ergotron and Viewsonic (australia). No response from either. If a company doesn't respond to your requests before you buy their product it doesn't bode well for their responses after. :(

Anybody else got experience with 3 separate arms and getting them to line up (I'm now more inclined to go for non ergotron products)?

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2009, 15:54 
Insiders
Insiders

I ordered a couple articulated arms for my monitors and they line up nicely, with plenty of rom to adjust. Plus with arms you can aim your displays at funky angles. It took some doing to get height adjustment and a transition board, as the baseplates were wider than my wall studs....

Got 'em at monoprice.com. shippiung to Canada was double the product price but was still half of what i'd be forced to pay from local stores. All steel and take up to 60lbs each.

I dconsidered Ergotron when i started looking at mounts but there was no way I'd pay so much.

hey, my typing isn't so bad for a guy that lopped his fingertip off. Ow.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2009, 07:48 

In case anyone is interested in the Viewsonic VX2262wm:

* From the Ergotron LX Triple/Dual Display Lift Stand Dimensional illustrations (PDF) one can see, for example,
you can have a maximum width of 20.25" (514.3 mm) for a maximum depth of 2" (50.8 mm). Less wide monitors can be more deep.

* Viewsonic VX2262wm specs (Thanks Viewsonic USA support for pointing me this way.) gives dimensions (without base) of width 508mm x depth 64mm.

I did some plotting in Excel. The Viewsonic VX2262wm is right on the limit for the LX Triple lift.

As for single stand V separate arms:

I ordered a couple articulated arms for my monitors and they line up nicely, with plenty of rom [sic] to adjust. Plus with arms you can aim your displays at funky angles.

Thanks Abram!!! That tips me toward 3 separate arms. If you can line em up then the freedom to have any angle you want seems like a considerable advantage over a single stand.

I'll report back when I get 'em.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2009, 14:12 

I'm now contemplating 3 separate arms. Specifically 3 of the Innovative Evo 5645.

This is a model for those with a deep desk like myself. It might be the only model in the "EVO" range that can get the monitors high enough, regardless of how deep your desk is.

There is a good video of the basic model, the Innovative EVO 5545.

These arms are gas lift, allowing you to reposition monitor without nobs or screws. They are bloody expensive at $AUD 481 each. However, I think I'm in love.

I will be looking to verify that they have the millimeter accuracy when fully extended, as it seems they might based on the video.