Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Oct 2024, 00:30

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The Hunter TH2Go support
PostPosted: 14 Apr 2009, 17:22 

Hey guys,

I stumbled accross and online hunting game the other day called TheHunter, available for free at http://www.thehunter.com
Graphically and gameplay wise it's absolutely outstanding, and a lot of fun to play.
It doesnt however support Surround Gaming resolutions, so I was just wondering if I'm the only one out there gagging for a fix to this, and if maybe some of the technically more gifted members around here would be prepared to take a look and see if they can help.

All the Best and many thanks in advance!

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2009, 21:40 
Editors
Editors

Hi there, I'm 'MadMcCoy' on The Hunter's forums :mrgreen: and there's nothing new I can say : The Hunter supports 16:9 perfectly, but any other widescreen/surround aspect ratios use the same FOV as 16:9. I'm afraid there's very little we can do before the developers acknowledge the issue, because I'm not sure this web-launched, server-based game can be fiddled with (modded/hacked) as "easily" as any other shooter...

I'll repost my screenies in the Widescreen Screenshots forum right away.

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2009, 03:50 

I haven't seen the game yet but if it's a flash or java game then I think surround is out.

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2009, 10:08 

I haven't seen the game yet but if it's a flash or java game then I think surround is out.

It's neither. I boasts graphics pretty much equal to CryEngine2 if a bit different in style, but definitely better than anything else out there at the moment.

Scavvenjahh set up a nice little selection of screenies here: http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=155745&highlight=hunter#155745

Even if you guys aren't into hunting at all, just give this free game a try, I spent the first 30 minutes gazing at the sunset and playing with things like god rays, SSAO etc. Sound and graphics are absolutely outstanding.

I am running the game in 1920x1200 with 8AA, 16AF and Super-Sampling, which still doesn't scratch the vysnc limit on my GTX280 TriSLI. Just now I received a mail from theHunter support:

'Hi Johannes,

I will check on this and get back to you as soon as possible.

Regards,

Donna
theHunter Support Team'

This was a reply to my question as to how the FoV can be changed.

Will post if I hear anything new.

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2009, 11:39 

So I got this reply from theHunter support team:

'Hi Johannes,

Thanks for taking the time to get in touch with us.
We have checked with our QA team about your resolution question and regret to inform you that it is not possible at this time.

The likely result would be the game crashing as the CPU would struggle to handle all of the information on screen.

We hope this information is of help.
If we can help you with anything else please let us know.

Best Regards,

Alex
theHunter Support Team'

This leads me to believe that they have no idea what they are talking about, from a technical perspective.

Anyway, if anyone can get this done, I know it's the peeps on this forum!
:lol:

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2009, 13:38 

Right,

well here's the latest from the support team regarding FoV flexibility:

'Hi Johannes,

Thanks for coming back to us.
Having spoken to the QA team they have told me that this is not a facility that we will presently be providing.
Although we appreciate your kind offer to look into this issue for us our primary concern and focus, understandably, has to be the majority of our users whose systems could not handle these sorts of settings.

If this is something that you and your friends will be investigating we would be more than happy to hear about the results but at the moment it is not something that we have or are likely to program into the game.

We hope this is of help, and very much appreciate your feedback and support.

Best Regards,

Alex
theHunter Support Team'

So I guess they're saying they don't know if it can be done, and wont put any effort towards finding out.

Real shame I guess, but still a good game.

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2009, 19:38 
Editors
Editors

Yup, many devs still have no idea what "proper widescreen support" means and/or take educated people like us for a whining minority. :mrgreen: On the other hand, The Hunter is still new and constantly evolving, so who knows what the future holds...