Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 06 Oct 2024, 21:23

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 18  Next
PostPosted: 19 Nov 2009, 22:02 

[quote]Also there seems to be a program out that helps called "Wide Screen Fixer" that seems to do what the ATI drivers cannot do at this moment, just wanted to know your opinion on the subject.
To be fair to ATi the WSF doesn't do what ATi should but what should be enabled in games. It is the games makers that are at fault. All IW need to do to get all their CoD games to work is to add 3x16:9 and 3x16:10 and 3x5:4 etc options into the game menu and Dopefish would be less employed (and I wouldn't have had to buy him a copy of MW2!)

It is not up to ATi to make games HOR+ (i.e. work properly at WS and MM resolutions) but the games makers themselves. Sometimes the fuss we make means it gets patched to work. Bioshock and Far Cry 2 are notable examples of big games where the WSGF has successfully campaigned for proper widescreen support. However CoD is bigger than any fuss WSGF can make, if IW can completely ignore their core PC demographic and do away with Dedi Servers, they can, and will, not include proper WS support. Even though it would take them literally 1 man day to implement in a patch. When you make 550 million in the first 5 days, we are small fry! Hell the PC is small fry, with less than 10% of tha money coming from PC sales.

However what ATi can do, and I am sure Dave is (especially as NV don't offer this ;)), is use ATi's leverage to ensure current and future games niclude this support in the game

Much needed clarification, thanks!

"I sense something, a presence I've not felt since......."

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2009, 00:01 

Just a quick comment. I would just like to thank you for all your support here, I know that my thoughts may be considered a little less important because I recently joined.

Well, I only joined recently as well! :)

Now just a quick question that may have been answered. But do you see Eyefinity going more mainstream? What is the ultimate goal for ATI in terms of Eyefinity?

In what way mainstream? In terms of support, every product from the HD 5000 Series that we have announced so far has the capability to support Eyefinity, and bearing in mind that we already have products in the $130 range then the barrier for entry to triple-wide gaming as already been reduced.

In general terms, though, I think we can popularise the notion of this more and I think we can see the some early results of that already - especially with things like the Eyefinity Challenge with [H]ardOCP; we've already introduced the notion to a wider range of people. Its difficult to gauge how widespread it will become though.

Also there seems to be a program out that helps called "Wide Screen Fixer" that seems to do what the ATI drivers cannot do at this moment, just wanted to know your opinion on the subject.

I think Mach1.9pants has covered many of the points fairly well already. However, bear in mind that an application such as Wide Screen Fixer is altering the game in some why - thats an area that we shouldn't go; you may ask how this is different from enabling control panel AA or AF, but even in those cases we are not altering the application, but altering what our driver is doing as the application code passes through it, so even in those cases we never actually alter the application.

Generally we are supporting of 3rd party, community driver apps though - frequently we reach out to GPU application developers, such as GPU-z or others, and provide them hardware and information in order for them to get support of our products with their apps.

On the game front, though, Mach is also correct in that where we are aiming for is the up front approach with the developer and evangelising Eyefinity to them in order to get more support with the app, this of course doesn't affect older titles and will have varying results, but at the very least we'll be raising its profile. Our engagements with developers are already bearing fruit though - we've already seen Bioware update Dragon Age for triple wide and our engagement with Codemasters with DiRT 2 has also yeilded good results so far.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2009, 02:07 

...and our engagement with Codemasters with DiRT 2 has also yeilded good results so far.

I like that word "engagement", keeps the people with tin-foil hats busy. Kinda like how NV was "engaged" with Batman: AA.

Does ATi/AMD have any specific beef with the way Lucid Hydra tech operates? I know NV has a "Kill On Sight" mentality about that one. Do you see it as an "invasion" into the crossfire realms, or another way to sell more kit, since it's more of a "this will affect 1% of 1% of our bottom line"?

Obviously 5000 series card sales arn't hurting, hopefully TSMC gets their act together to get y'all much-needed market share!

BZ D.B!

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2009, 03:15 

I like that word "engagement", keeps the people with tin-foil hats busy. Kinda like how NV was "engaged" with Batman: AA.

Except that, I should hope, that TH2G users will see the friuts of our engagement as well; likewise when others bring out DX11 GPU's everything will still operate there. :)

Does ATi/AMD have any specific beef with the way Lucid Hydra tech operates? I know NV has a "Kill On Sight" mentality about that one. Do you see it as an "invasion" into the crossfire realms, or another way to sell more kit, since it's more of a "this will affect 1% of 1% of our bottom line"?

Not as far as I'm aware. Personally, I'm quite interested to see what the MSI board does / performs.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2009, 06:58 

Dave, thank you and sunsp*t for your contributions, in my opinion you guys (& the rest of ati/amd) are single handidly saving pc gaming! You cannot get tripple screen on a console and the more people that see eyefinity in action, want it over the console experience!

Anyway, I was wondering if you guys made any headway on wheter or not portrait x landscape x portrait configurations will be implemented with eyefinity. I am currently running 4960x1600 resolution (one gateway 30" 2560x1600 monitor flanked on each side by two dell 2007fp 1600x1200s) and for me that is the ideal amount of screen action...not too wide and perfectly tall at 1600 pixels! However, since eyefinity is not supported, I am forced to use SoftTH for tripple screening which is less than ideal to say the least.

I have a xfx 5870 and was lucky enough to be able to purchase a sapphire 5970 on newegg yesterday (should arrive here today!) and I have plans to tri-fire them! I really really want to be able to push an eyefinity setup with them, but having three 30" monitors would be too much for my desk, my pocket book and my woman, and stepping down to smaller 24" monitors would be too narrow for my tastes. I love having a big 30" in the center flanked by smaller side monitors. Can I pay one of your programmers $1,000 to work some overtime and make this PLP happen for me because it would save me $2,400 which is the cost of two more 30"s :)

I had asked sunsp*t about a month ago about PLP and he said PLP setups are a possibility, so I wanted to check and see if any headway was made there.

Thank you so much for all your contributions!

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2009, 13:02 

I had asked sunsp*t about a month ago about PLP and he said PLP setups are a possibility, so I wanted to check and see if any headway was made there.

I would assume this,
crossfire and bezelmangement done early 2010, say dec-march timeframe.
and that PLP happens after that period which means 6 months to a year from now or they even save it for eyefinity 2 as it isnt functional either with tech or money to spend it on the 1 generation cards and eyefinity.

I dont know the technical difficulties but this sort of things takes a lot of time and money to work properly on all sorts of plattforms.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2009, 13:20 

Hi Flopper, thanks for your reply and great name lol!

Yea, I agree and understand that they have bigger fish to fry with having to get eyefinity working with crossfire on the 5850 & 5870 models and am pretty sure that they will be addressing that in Q1 2010.

I was hoping that when they have the time to address the bezel management issue that they could also address the PLP issue, so I was just checking to see if any headway was made for PLPs before I do something stupid like waste money on two more 30"s and then have my woman make me sleep on the couch for the rest of my days lol.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2009, 16:38 

Hi Flopper, thanks for your reply and great name lol!

Yea, I agree and understand that they have bigger fish to fry with having to get eyefinity working with crossfire on the 5850 & 5870 models and am pretty sure that they will be addressing that in Q1 2010.

I was hoping that when they have the time to address the bezel management issue that they could also address the PLP issue, so I was just checking to see if any headway was made for PLPs before I do something stupid like waste money on two more 30"s and then have my woman make me sleep on the couch for the rest of my days lol.

then just wait. after all eyefinity is still in its early days and still needs some tweaking/fixing here and there.

take care of your wife in the mean time ;)

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2009, 08:38 

Yea, I think I will just pick up a third 2007fp for the time being as that is relatively cheap. I can go tripple screen on those and hopefully bring the 30" back if they support mixed PLP setups.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2009, 17:58 

Yea, I think I will just pick up a third 2007fp for the time being as that is relatively cheap. I can go tripple screen on those and hopefully bring the 30" back if they support mixed PLP setups.

We just got to remember that eyefinity is still a little baby for ATI (remember I think sunspot said they started working on it this year!) and that we should see some great things done with it in the year to come. I'm excited to see it!

"I sense something, a presence I've not felt since......."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 18  Next