Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Sep 2024, 05:23

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Le sigh.
PostPosted: 21 Mar 2010, 10:41 
Administrators
Administrators

I don't claim it's changed. I claim it carries a specific meaning today. Whether that meaning is compatible with a definition from 1994 or not is aside my point.

Your view is that is carrys a smaller meaning today then it used to, this isn't true, as with more technical terms is meaning has been broadened as the concept has been developed, P2P now also includes systems like folding@home and SETI@Home.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peer-to-peer
It verifies everything I've been saying. It even has two nifty little diagrams illustrating what I mean about how P2P is decentralized and stands in complete contrast to the centralized server-client model that driving millions of pirates to a handful of proxies would ultimately resemble.

Once again you don't know the difference between a centralized P2P Filesharing network and a decentralized one, a centralized one is simply one where all the peers connect to a central server to find out where the other peers are and what they have to share. A decentralized one doesn't have that single start point and isn't dependent on any of the servers.

Adding proxy servers or VPNs do no stop a system from being a Peer to Peer system, as only the route changes, and the route the information takes is not what makes a peer to peer system.
Peer - ADSL Modem - Internet Switch - Internet Switch - Internet Switch - ADSL Modem - Peer
Peer - ADSL Modem - Internet Switch - Internet Switch - Proxy Server - Internet Switch - Internet Switch - ADSL Modem - Peer
That what will happen, the proxy server becoming just another point in the chain of connections connecting you to the peer, also the number of proxy servers are extremely high and it will never end up with everyone using just the one server, not that that would accurately matter since a proxy server and a VPN are simply acting as a network switch, forwarding the data like your own route does. It doesn't change the data, the protocol nothing, it just forwards the data to the correct computer which is what every router and switch on the internet and in people home do anyway. If you have two people in your home download the same file on a file sharing system both computers will use your local router, by your definition that would mean your not using a P2P network.

Also to add, your definition would mean that every P2P network that crosses the seas isn't a peer to peer network, because all of the data has to be funnel down one of the few lines that cross say the Atlantic passing though common routers on ether side.

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2010, 21:03 

You guys seem to all forget that the internet is a series of tubes.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2010, 21:28 
Administrators
Administrators

You guys seem to all forget that the internet is a series of tubes.

I retraced all comments, Velvet is right, the internet is a series of tubes, nothing more need to said. :cheers

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2010, 22:53 

Perfect time to lock this.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2010, 00:18 
Insiders
Insiders

Your view is that is carrys a smaller meaning today then it used to

My "view" does not concern what it used to mean.

Once again you don't know the difference between a centralized P2P Filesharing network and a decentralized one,

Sure I do. A "centralized P2P filesharing network" as you describe it, isn't really a centralized network - the data still flows in a decentralized manner, as the Wikipedia article illustrates. Forcing everyone to use a proxy would mean the data no longer flows in a decentralized manner, and no longer has any of the advantages of the P2P model.

Adding proxy servers or VPNs do no stop a system from being a Peer to Peer system, as only the route changes, and the route the information takes is not what makes a peer to peer system.

Every source you have linked to or mentioned shows that the route is *precisely* what distinguishes a P2P network model from a server-client model.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2010, 02:19 

@cranky
Just to conclude, you're mistaken in thinking that all PC gaming companies have "getting more sales" as a primary objective. For the rest I think you just want to argue for argument's sake...

On the subject of network types
as I understand it, it's not the route it's what each end point does for the other which defines the type of network...
otherwise in the event that a lot of internet relays would go down due to a massive attack (virus or whatever)
a model could change on the fly (due to the lower number of routes)... which makes no sense

in a server-client model, only the server has something of value to share (aka resources) (the server requests nothing/it is clients which need said resources )
in a peer to peer model, everyone has something of value to share... every peer will at times request or give resources to other peers

Hence I believe widescreengamingforum.com is a traditional client-server model, the server requests nothing, even when the client send data to it (through posting for example) it's still the client who initiates the action, the request...

As for using VPNs & proxy relays for P2P & the slowdown effect, it all depends on how the VPN/proxy/anonymity architecture is laid out ...
for example using the TOR project for P2P is doomed to failure (according to its authors), however other architectures might work better or not ...
Simple independent VPNs which would just be used to encrypt traffic between the client and the VPN & then continue normal connections, could work if the number of VPNs is high

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2010, 03:39 
Insiders
Insiders

Just to conclude, you're mistaken in thinking that all PC gaming companies have "getting more sales" as a primary objective.

What do you suppose is their objective, then? Getting just barely enough sales to make a profit?

For the rest I think you just want to argue for argument's sake...

I'm arguing because there are still pirates who are over-confident in their ability to triumph over the threat of serious government intervention.

On the subject of network types
as I understand it, it's not the route it's what each end point does for the other which defines the type of network...
otherwise in the event that a lot of internet relays would go down due to a massive attack (virus or whatever)
a model could change on the fly (due to the lower number of routes)... which makes no sense

An event like that wouldn't make the network model change from P2P to client-server. It would make it change from P2P to a smaller P2P. Data flow wouldn't become dependent on a central machine just because several nodes go down. But forcing everyone to use a proxy would have that effect.

Simple independent VPNs which would just be used to encrypt traffic between the client and the VPN & then continue normal connections, could work if the number of VPNs is high

Where would you put all these VPN's? You can't just have everyone set up their own personal VPN in the basement - the illegal P2P activity would just be traceable to their basements instead.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2010, 12:49 
Editors
Editors

Perfect time to lock this.

You know what, I'm keeping it open. Carry on discussing this, get it out of your system. When one piracy related thread is shutdown, another inevitably pops up, so go ahead and use this.

There is one condition.

Any post filled with only personal attacks or overly aggressive behaviour, as decided by any Mod, will get the user banned WITHOUT WARNING for 48hours.

So go nuts, but you have been warned. Keep it friendly.

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2010, 21:04 

Everyone here is ugly.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2010, 21:42 

Everyone here is ugly.

Some more than others.

We need a new title for this. Suggestions?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next