Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 01 Oct 2024, 23:47

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2010, 12:58 

Hello guys!

I've been searching this forum, but most of this topics here are old and links below are not working yet, so i'm asking here for an complete solution, or somethink like that - it can be for all users as an complete solution (if it isn't here yet)..

I have not much time to play games, but if I have, I like to play my favourites such as NFS Underground, Age of Mythology/Empires, Rise of Nations, Mafia, F 2002, CMR 2.0, etc, but most of this games doesn't allow widescreen (I've checked it by CCC driver of my HD4670, but in new versions I can't force my card to "maintain aspect ratio" to 4:3), and even bigger problem is that this games doesn't allows higher resolution - i Have 1920x1080 LCD, so everything in lower resolution is blured (I had CRT 17" 1600x1200 and there is not important, which resolution do you chose).. one solution is play "in window", but it's not that good.. So I'm asking, if there is an program, that's able to force games to run in my HD resolution.. I've been searching Google, but every program i found was not working, but I also found this forum, looking like the best choice..

So please, if possible, give me at least links on topics leading to success, thx :)

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2010, 15:46 
Founder
Founder

You should start by looking at the Master Games List, which is linked to in several places on the forum.

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/Essential_Games_List

Mafia, for example, natively supports widescreen resolutions. The CCC driver isn't going to be the determining factor in which games support widescreen. It will be what you use to maintain aspect ratio. Your monitor may also have settings. What version of CCC are you using?

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2010, 16:08 

The Master Games List looks good :) not good, nice, if everything, there posted, is working :) for example i see AoM - widescreen is working..

I was using CCC9.6 and choice "maintain" was unlocked, but I think since 9.10 is locked.. but I want to have latest drivers and CCC.. I was thinking about installing older version of only CCC and drier let the latest, but was anytime too lazy to do this :D
I'm no beginner about computers, I know pretty much about them, but no "hacks" of games..

But I want also not only wide, but changins resolution, if it's possible.. I think it is, for the engine of the game is no different among resolutions, is it? the game doesn't support high resolution, because in the time of developing, there were no such resolutions, just only 1024x768 :D In newer games, developers were so lazy, and if they allowed game with 4:3 and 16:9, they made nothing with gui, which is deformed by changing aspect ratio.. In latest games, everything is fine, but most of this games I don't like.. RoN, AoE, NFSU, NFSHP2, AoM, Mafia, F102 - this is classics for me and I want to play it still..

About that, I'we got one more problem, but it's different.. Do you know Knights and Merchants? amazing strategy - there is really high amount of resources and it's pretty hard, only thing missing is singleplayer battle - but I've got Win7 Profi 64 and there is no chance to run this game - few seconds after running, colors change to wrong (black is green now), sounds aren't working and FPS is about 10.. At times of Win XP, it was fine, but FPS was too high, that i was no able to play it too.. Only chance to run it was netbook With Atom and XP, but now, i have there Win 7 Ultimate and problems are same, even worster.. Could anybody help?

PS: Sorry for my english, I'm chech speaking 18 years old "IT" :)

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2010, 16:17 

This forum is not working or it's different type of sorting and showing posts? I wanted to edit my last post and it's not here!? Maybe I need wait, but i'll type it so..

Heyyy, I've tryied AoM by param xres=1920 yres=1080 and it's amazing!! but I think this isn't working with every game, is it?

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2010, 16:21 
Founder
Founder

The supported or allowed resolutions will change by game, and you'll just have to experiment. There is no universal solution. If a game has an .ini solution that allows you to specify the resolution you should be good. Also, for a game to be Certified, it has support all WS resolutions up through 1920x1200 (including 1920x1080). If a game doesn't support a specific resolution (as found in our testing) it will be noted in the Detailed Report.

For something specific about your merchants game, I would post a new thread.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2010, 16:22 
Founder
Founder

This forum is not working or it's different type of sorting and showing posts? I wanted to edit my last post and it's not here!? Maybe I need wait, but i'll type it so..

Heyyy, I've tryied AoM by param xres=1920 yres=1080 and it's amazing!! but I think this isn't working with every game, is it?

Your first few posts have to be approved by a Moderator or Admin. Helps stop spam.

Each game is different. You will find its solution in the Detailed Report or Wiki page for that game.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2010, 16:33 

I see.. this antispam is good, but it must be hard to check all the posts etc.. I see you are admin of probably all the web, so it's looking like your job :D
about spam - we also have your webpage about PC problems (in czech) and the best spam filter is captcha plus question while registerign (for example pixture of a car and question what is on that picture - bot is unable to answer, only if he's cooperating with "developer" and it must be hard job for him either :D we have 3000 users and 4 bots or spammers.. Yours solution is better, but you must read everything (you do it when you answer too, so no problem..)..

About KaM - you can create new post, if someone will be able to help, but you must tell me which topic it is, or I'll do it myself?

The MGL is great thing - i'm trying few games now, but most of games are now only copyied from XP so i'm exploring what of this 120Gigs of games are working :D

the biggest problem of every game, which doesn't support wide, is that every 2D objects (GUI) is deformed and i hate this ecliptic speedmeter in Mafia.. but i think, the only way to check this issue is some patch mady by fans of this game.. I'll check the MGL.. THX for everything :)