Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Sep 2024, 03:19

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
 Post subject: Re: Le sigh.
PostPosted: 23 Mar 2010, 18:49 
Insiders
Insiders

it's not, I'm not changing how the universe works

It is a precondition for accepting that the impossible is now possible. You can't just say "what if there was a huge privacy network that worked?" and expect to form useful conclusions without defining the preconditions that would make this possible. I could simply say "what if there was a DRM that was completely uncrackable?" Then your entire notion of this privacy network is moot.

sure, however unless the TOR node owner is actually using his computer for illegal stuff,

We're talking about the possibility of pirates using them to hide their tracks, remember? It's a given that the TOR node is being used for illegal stuff.

but two things : 1)you suppose they would make no effort whatsoever to discourage its use...

I honestly can't picture them creating a TOS that forbids it and actively enforcing it. Of course if they did, that would reduce piracy anyway.

2)then every and each internet relay is guilty of those charges (relaying illegal data) so this would challenge the whole principle of how internet works by making relays responsible of what data pass through their computers ...

Not every relay hides the identity of the receiving computer, though. And anonymity was never a basic principal of how the Internet works.

you don't need a lot of individuals to make an effective P2P network ... (Direct Connect)

Yes... that's exactly why BT is the de facto P2P of choice for pirating whatever the latest game is, and not DC.

a computer router or a hardware router doesn't make any difference, it's still a link ...

It's a link that your diagram does not include.

but fine since you will obviously not agree on this let's forget about this one and instead see this :
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/ ... jxta2.html

There is nothing you have quoted from that article that contradicts any of my points. Mostly it just verifies what I've been saying.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2010, 02:10 

fine I give up, there's no talking any sense out of you
the fact that YOU think that something is impossible doesn't make it impossible... very big difference that you should accept first and foremost.

Everything I quoted and linked to says that a P2P network model means that each peer act as both a server & a client unlike client-server network models
thereby contradicting the fact that you said the route does matter for defining the network model ...
the route may impose restrictions to the network model however it will not change the model from one to another...
Anyway I don't care anymore, in all friendliness I will say that to you so that you have the choice of not wasting your time with me anymore :
welcome my ignore list. :cheers

my end word for everyone else :
I hope I didn't upset too much people around here, I like to confront my point of view to enrich myself and in general I have good past experiences of this even when I don't agree with people, however this time around I hit something a bit alike an impermeable wall which doesn't let anything pass, one way or another...

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2010, 07:40 
Insiders
Insiders

fine I give up, there's no talking any sense out of you

Don't sour grape. It's poor sportsmanship.

the fact that YOU think that something is impossible doesn't make it impossible.

If you think it is possible, the burden of proof lies with you.

Everything I quoted and linked to says that a P2P network model means that each peer act as both a server & a client unlike client-server network models
thereby contradicting the fact that you said the route does matter for defining the network model ...

But it doesn't contradict my point. It completely reinforces it. If everyone had to get data that took a route through a relay/proxy/VPN/whatever, these machines would be a central figure in the network. These machines would essentially be acting as a server, and the server functions of the "peers" would be entirely superfluous, meaning they are acting as clients.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2010, 09:11 

Don't sour grape. It's poor sportsmanship.

That's not ironic AT ALL

/s

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2010, 11:53 

Every time "general gaming" is lit up I get excited, but then it's always this thread.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2010, 12:38 
Administrators
Administrators

Every time "general gaming" is lit up I get excited, but then it's always this thread.

Dude, your to easily excited.

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2010, 14:28 
Editors
Editors

Shit. When I said I'd keep it unlocked, I forgot I'd have to actually read the bastard thing.

Locked.

But no one got banned! Hooray!

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21